Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share Price

Not applicable
Hi Simon, could you explain how one determines the value of a share price please. I recently attended a Candle Charting course and would like know where I could download the course material. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
surfer
Regular Contributor
if you are asking for the true fundamental value of a share,there is no answer or holy grail as everyone has views but the price you see today is what the market thinks it is valued at
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Yes surfer well said..
0 Kudos
Nessy
Contributor
For the course materials go to : Help, Downloads, Face to Face Courses
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Checked face to face but it does not appear there, they only give present and upcoming course material.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is the one titled Technical Analysis Applied
0 Kudos
Not applicable
A share is worth whatever someone is willing to buy it for
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What about intrinsic/fair value? SBK share update provides a target price
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Bev there are many ways to determine a share price, investors use calculations like sum of the parts or discount cash flow models (DCF). Traders use charts as they feel the markets show the true value of a price.
Both methods have their problems, like a DCF uses a lot of assumptions that dont necessarily pan out. With trading you work with probabilities (ie not guarantees - hence stop losses).
But the other guys have answered it the best - its worth what other people are prepared to buy it for.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
How do you then value over reaction? Like a sudden fall in the share price like a CEO resignation, EU issues, etc. Does that mean that the value of the share at that moment is real?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Like wise with share that is just bubbling all the way up as iif there is no limit
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
price is what you pay and is absolute and real .. value is what you get and is totally subjective ..
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
there is no exact science and sometimes a major move is just short term market forces that can over react.These forces are not normally like this forever and over time the true value of the company will be shown and the fundamentals and could argue technical will reflect this(over the long term most likely)
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
but as it stands the current price reflects everything (sorry posted before finished)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I guess Bev's question is a question that we all what an answer for. This applies to the long term gurus too. The question could be, when is the right time to buy a share and when is the right time to sell a share. I agree with you that the price at that moment is the price, how the market values the share at that moment. What if there is a fund manager with major holding in the share and he/she is upset or excited about that share and he/she is emotionally driving the share all the way beyond the realistic levels. I am thinking that we all buy with a hope of a gain but ones needs some sort of a green light to say yes, I might be 60% right
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Something like a P/E ratio. A share bottoming out, MA. It's more of a question that was posed about the OST TA course and the method of presentation whereby someone proposed that the course/seminar be more interactive
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Take SOL for example. I have seen posts whereby someone said that it is time to go long with SOL and when I looked at the chart, to me SOL was hoovering in the overbought medium term levels. The trend was at 3 year resistance level. How will I say as a trader, there is a potential for this thing to go up say 10%? Not much to ask for but think a quick screening method.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks everyone.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I think it was Ram who wanted to go long when Sol was trading at R405.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
nah, i always wanted to go long at 320....MTN at 120 and BIL at 220...405 is not 320, so i going to ask OPRAH for a refund!
0 Kudos