Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share buy back scheme

Fhydvjtfg
Contributor
I don't understand? Could someone please explain why SUNINT wants to buy back its shares for the purpose of eventually delisting them? Secondly, why SUNINT do not buy back the shares they desire about 16%, in the open market, at the market price. Is it fair that shareholders will be forced to sell a portion of their holdings at a price of just over R145, when at the same time, the shares are trading at above R158? I battle to see the incentive.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Plonky
Super Contributor
Good question. If the shares will be bought back at R145 why has the share touched R160 today. ? (+4% improvement from friday)
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
On 29 June there will be a Special General Meeting at which shareholders are entitled to vote for or against the proposed resolutions which facilitate the buy-back. My understanding of the effect is that ordinary shareholders would be selling back to the company at an average price over a 1 month period, after which the total shares left in issue would be fewer (therefore the percentage held by the shareholders is stronger than before the buy-back). This will advantage shareholders by promoting a stronger share price for the shares still in issue (for example, insted of owning 0.16% of the company's assets you'll now own 0.17%), while at the same time improving the company's BEE structure which will improve the competitiveness of the business - therein lies the incentive to shareholders. Effectively you are getting paid out for your 16% as a dividend, and the future trading value of what shares you still hold is going to be worth about the same or more than the value that the whole lot is worth now (PRESUMING THE MARKET IS HAPPY WITH THE MOVE AFTER THE MEETING).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
As an American fundi was quoted :"Companies buy back their shares to make their EPS look better."...
0 Kudos