Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share buyback

Herms
Contributor
Hi everyone. How does a share buyback work? Let's say I have a 1000 shares in company A and the cash rate per share is R1. Do I lose some shares(does the company buy it back directly from every shareholder) or do I only recieve the R1 P/s and still keep my 1000 shares? Please any help would be appreciated. (sorry if it's a stupid q but I'm still a newbie)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
a small buy back will be done in the open market withtr eh company just buying .. larger will be a forced sale by existing share holders of a certain amount of current holding ..
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
normally bought on open market. do this in stead of div to reduce dilution of future profit.
0 Kudos
Herms
Contributor
Simon so in the upcoming buyback by Bidvest(BVT), how do I confirm which one of those two options it will be?
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
Bidvest intends to make an interim cash distribution by way of a pro rata share buy back. The implementation will be effected by way of a scheme of arrangement for the repurchase of 1,82% of every members' shareholding in Bidvest at a price of R121,00 per share being a premium of 15,3% over the last 30 days weighted average share price of Bidvest. The payment will equate to an effective distribution of 220,0 cents per share (2006: 198,0 cents).
0 Kudos
Herms
Contributor
Picky, so excactly how much will I recieve per share?
0 Kudos