Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share filter variables for Value Stocks

Blik
Super Contributor
Morning all. Just a query on possible share filter variables for what one would consider a value stock. I dont want to start another debate on value vrs trading - just some thoughts if possible. I used the following variables for a filter search - PE ratio below 13, a DY greater than 3, a 3year ROCE Avg. above 18 and a Cap greater than 6 Billion - just as a first filter example and the following stocks were listed - AEG, ALT, LEW, GND, RLO, KIO, TKG and VOD. What other factors could be considered important in looking for THAT long term share to buy (using the OST share filter that is)? The only share I hold in the above filter result is VOD, from the TKG unbundle. I sold my TKG. Although I also hold some ATN, which accounts for some ALT. I am also not quite certain that Cap should be considered - maybe from a security point of view. Some of my best performing shares in terms of DY and growth are small cap shares. I also think we can only put in 5 factors into the OST search filter. Thoughts?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
I think you are using the right filters, I have used a similar search but look at smaller cap (1bn) and a BUY consensus. I use more or less what Stuart Thomson used during one of the workshops he hosted for OST. He used: P/E under 11, Ratio-Price/NAV less than 5, DY 3%, CAP > R1bn, Consensus BUY. The list generated then consisted of 21 shares, same criteria now produces around 8. I am in the process of seeing how well those on the original list fared from then (18 SEP 2009) untill now.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Many thanks Oom - will try those as well. Am not convinced about the Consensus Buy factor - but Stuart knows his stuff, so factored in with the others it may be worth it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Blik, your criteria you posted is more or less the same as Greenblatt's magic formula. Now give the results of your search a joint rank in a spreadsheet by sorting the results from low PE to high, numbering them 1 to x. Call it (say) a PE rank. Then sort by ROCE descending and assign a ROCE rank from 1 to x. Now add up the 2 ranks and order that result from low to high. Buy the top 5, hold for a year and then rebalance for the next year. Easy mechanical system and proven track record.
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Guys - when would you use the ROCE filter and when the Return on Stockholder Funds filter. Which one is better and why?
0 Kudos