Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share price tanking

klapka
Super Contributor
Does anyone have insight as to why the Telkom share price has only gone down since recent 'good' news. The R19 special dividend was confirmed as expected and the competition commission has given the nod. Surely the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole? Or is this the bargain of the year? What am I missing ?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
KVW
Super Contributor
Div. should result in roughly a R19 drop.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
everything else is tanking why should MTN be diff? Unless it started mining gold lately...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The dividend has been confirmed, but not the date - that is only next month. Then we will see the R19 drop... This is going to be the bargain of the year. Vodacom is worth more then Telkom is at the moment. Telkom is Mahala!!! Surely must be worth at least R40 after the split of vodacom. Who is ready to make big money?
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
From my dealings with this hiddeous company, you'd be hard pressed to find someone with 2 brain cells there. Maybe this is being reflected in the share price.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Klapka. For easy reference for the rest of us please elaborate on the deal, entry strategy, timing and potential in your opinion.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
The R19 drop would normally come after it is paid. I think Telkom is undervalued because most people including the talking heads and thought police simply loath Telkom as an organisation. Hardly based on logic.
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
For the last few years, most of Telkom's profit was derived from Vodacom. Now they are selling off their most profitable asset. Perhaps there is good reason for the loathing. If and when Telkom can get rid of the albatross around it's neck.... the fixed line portion of it's business.... then it's shares will look attractive.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Perhaps you are proving my pointregarding the dislike of Telkom. Surely our object should be to find value and thus make money. 15% of Vodacom is being sold. We get R19 per Telkom share for that. Plus the balance of Vodacom shares will be given to Telkom shareholders at listing plus probably another divi of around R5 in June. Plus the Telkom value. Even if it's only asset value and sold off on Bid or Buy who cares? If you add this lot up it comes to a lot more than R111 a share.
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
Ask myself why Telkom sell most proffit asset? Are they idiots? Fact is, Vodacom-deal prohib Telkom to run own cell-biss; even in other Afr&East countries it's opperating in. Five year outlook for combo service of fixline-MWEB(Afr)-cell seems better than gold. Maybe in five sellers&non-buyers could see themself look idiots. I'm buying!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Telkom is trading in a band of 109 - 118 until it breaks out of either range you can only trade the range.
0 Kudos