Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Share repurchase tax rate

koos2
Super Contributor
What are the tax implications for a company that does a share repurchase, ie what rate is the effective rate that the company pays on the income used by it for a shae repurchase , 28%? Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AJ_
Contributor
there is no tax consequence(except for the STT) since the company will utilise excess cash.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Will they be subject to STT though, I thought STT was replaced by WHT on the recipient. So good question - I would also like to know the answer - since WHT doesn't apply, and STT is done away with.
0 Kudos
AJ_
Contributor
STT = Security Transfer Tax payable by purchaser of shares calculated at 0.25% of the purchase price Dividend Tax = not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I meant STC - apologies
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
but the company is holding the shares, they did not reduce the total outstanding shares, does the company pay dividend tax on the shares for every dividend thereafter?
0 Kudos
AJ_
Contributor
when a company buys back its own shares, the number of issued shares is reduced. This has no impact on any tax except for STT (Security Transfer Tax) @ 0.25%. Furthermore the cash flow is negatively affected on account of the share repurchase.
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
0 Kudos