Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sharefinder.co.za

Gilmour
New Contributor
Hi All, Do any of you know of this application and or had experience with this fundamnetal/technical tool? Thanks
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
if it smells fishy it usually is....carp that is...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am amazed at how these companies play on the "greed within". I was recently offered for a ridiculously low price of just R5,000 once off no license fees & the promise of continual support - a Trading program that is web based & that will tell me when to buy & when to sell with a guaranteed minimum return of R1,000 profit per trade of R10,000. So if this "tool" was so good why not just use it to make more than the paltry R5,000??? When I asked the sales guy, he had a mouthful of teeth. Methinks that he was the "tool" & not the program :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I had that once and I asked the sales guy if the tools were so good why was he wasting time trying to sell them. He could just use them himself and be very wealthy and give up the sales career (he sucked at it anyway). Stranglely the answer I got was he needed the sales comms to get the R10k to start with...... good excuse but bad lie.......Then again a R1000 profit from every R10,000 invested could be true if you hold a share for a very very very long time......not withstanding you choosing a share that starts at R100 and ends at 1c....;-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sharefinder has a few interesting formulas; fourier projections/cheap vs expensive/value ratings and suchlike but is essentially a long term investment selection tool and has not helped me for short term trading.I think you can get a free trial period.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Iused it when I started in 2001, but found it confusing/contradicting and not much help to me in particular. Not good for TA at all. Richard Cluver however is very astute investor and I found his publications of more use. Stopped using his service LONG time ago.
0 Kudos
Gilmour
New Contributor
Sorry I am not following your posts. Are you saying this happened when you spoke to SF? It is not clear which company you are refering to but sounds like you had some bad experiences - when I called I got Mr Cluver direct and it was very positive. No sales pitch and very helpful - I am trying to ascertain if the product has been of help to others. It is a long term investor tool not a day trading TA app.
0 Kudos
Gilmour
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply - I would use it for longer term investing. Would you mind elabortaing on your post a bit more in terms of how you used the app to any effect - either positive orr negative?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Gilmour, no particular product and not aimed at SF. I just hated sales people making massive promises about the product able to guarantee returns etc. As Skala said, good enough for beginner investors but IMO as you get more involved you learn faster that these tools can give you info and you drop them quickly. Grab a good investing book and learn to do it and soon you will be predicting your own pick of the month.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
IMO no tool is ever going to replace good investigative financial number crunching. 1st step is to select a business or area of commerce that you have an interest in. Stockpiling YAK Dung as a fossil fuel replacement might be of interest to some, but not to me - I therefore know nothing about that industry. Then get a good feel for the management style & structure - this will require yo to read the CEO & Chairmans reports for a few years. Now look at the numbers, Cash position, sales, ROI, PE, DIV yields etc. How sustainable are they? Finally decide whether or not the current price is "Worth it" & buy. Then if anything changes, do the process again, evaluate the change & sell or hold or buy more. No tool can do this for you & anyway if you have to spend a whole sunday downloading a weeks data to see the "signals" - well why not do the research yrself? Loads more fun & you learn lots more.
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Suggest that you get some of his books first - the latter ones make for good reading, and will help you to understand the program. I have considered buying SF, but feel not right for me at the moment. Books were good though.
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
I use ShareFinder aswell as Amibroker. SF will cost you about R4000 to R5000.SF has excellent Fundamental resources.Examines a share from about 40 different aspects and then colour codes each attribute in Red (bad) and Green (good)So you can read the numbers or just use the colours. Then combines the whole analysis into a "grade" which takes all the different fundamental anaysis into account.It looks at approx 200 top shares on the market and then also divides these into categories "Grand Old Favourites" - the best of the best, Blue Chips, Rising Stars, Maverick Market leaders, Fallen from grace, etc Some very clever proprietory technical indicators aswell including the capability to project a graph into the future based on previous cycles.Also gives you a daily short, medium and long term buy list. I find the charting a bit tedious and cumbersome.It also has no custom search function if you are wanting to search the whole market for particular categories of shares. Remember that Moneyweb and Easy Soft offers free Charting Software. You will just pay for the Daily Download.
0 Kudos