Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Shareholder Activism

Not applicable
And now for something completely different:
A completely random and useless bit of information.
Our local hero Theo Botha made it on to Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Botha
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Rams
Super Contributor
Ah nice link....did you know our lost kid made it to Oprahs school for 12 years of preschool.... I just hope my stop has been moved far enuf, if it gets hit, then it's MATUBA TUBA preschool for him
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
You are a BAD Trader. Keep walking.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
thanks, coming from you, thats a compliment,,,and my bad trading going to get you 12 years free preschoolong at Oprahs...maybe 24 years since stop still not hit!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Harathke
Regular Contributor
I still think that while Theo Botha's original intentions may have been shareholder activism, I think they have changed to that of gaining as much media exposure as possible. Let me phrase it this way, he is always keen to kick up a fuss over the smallest things at major blue chip company's AGMs...but small and mid caps have far more dodgy dealings within some of them, so where is Theo at these AGMs? Nowhere... Because the media is not there either. #justsaying
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Theo Botha does not mind small and medium, blue chip is where it counts
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
who funds him ??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
In a press interview it was found that Botha doesnÂ’t appear to be making money off this enterprise; in most instances he buys only one share."[7]" from wikipedia
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes but who pays for him to fly to London to attend the AGL and SB AGM's ??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
maybe,the costs involved is offset by the free media attention/advertisement he gets for whatever business he is in. Branson used the same idea for his airline when he took on BA?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Or perhaps he gets the odd "What will it take for you to go away?" proposition...
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Generally I like people like this. If boards are incompetent or make decisions not complying with good governance practices they need to be held accountable, and shareholder have a right to know.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Just imagine--Susan Shabangu, after her minesterial munching, a director at one of the mines??? I shudder to think---yet, worse has happened with shareholders nary raising a voice. Whatever the conspirators might say, thumbs up to Theo.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I got nothing but respect for the man and he is with out doubt an asset to SA investors .. but the question always bobs around in my head and it is a fair question surely ??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
maybe, interview him on a TV show?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Or maybe interview Rams for a TV show.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Well, whether he does it to promote himself or his business or maybe for any other reason, what does it matter? If he is doing it to keep boards on their toes and all private shareholders benefit, surely we should just say-thank you.
0 Kudos