Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Shares for my son.

platsak
Super Contributor
My son is due for tomorrow morning. I have a few k I want to invest in on his behalf for extended period (5 years +). Any suggestions
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Not applicable
Remgro is always a good long-term bet.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
I like TRACKER FUNDS which buy you a spread, opposed to a one share bet. How wrong could you go if you bought some STX FIN or STX IND units right now. OMO.
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
Like Striker I also prefer the satrix options, although maybe consider the Deutche bank options, such as US 50 etc. (dont touch the UK FTSE 100 (just yet). Recommend this, with a view to R weakness, and the US economy awakening to full potential within 2 years.....accumalate now for, for greater reward!! Just my opinion.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Good luck for tomorrow. Is he your first kid?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
MTN!!! I listen and follow the advice of the experts, PAUL THERON...
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Louis Yes. Looking forward to it. Also a bit scared. A lot of responsibility. I Read that Varsity fees for a degree will be in the region of R600k when he is 18. Im starting with R50K. I must problably look at a portion International exposure. A lot can problably happen in Africa in 10 years time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I always like Satrix 40, but if you want to beat the index, why not put all the shares in a watchlist and buy the little green arrows? Or wait for the Satrix rafi - July 2008, I heard ;-)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Good luck Platsak..Kids only need one kind of abundance and that is Love.. Oh! but your wife she made need somthing a little sparkly for her efforts.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Platsak, 50k for 18 years compounded at 13.89% = 600k.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Congratulations! Buy SAB for the future, you can not go wrong!
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
Baie geluk. Kyk oos, dit is waar die son en die toekoms vandaan kom. Hoop jou sak is beter.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Your SON is the greatest gift u can get,as for good shares,take lBT,RCH and SAB and hold the actual shares for ten years.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
my sister had her first kid on 16 march, I bought him stx40 for his 18th birthday.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, why STX40? Why not STXRES, STXFIN, STXIND or on of the DB x-trackers? I am just trying to guage opinions on where to invest at the moment. In fact, let's ask the whole forum: If you could only invest in ETF's which ONE would you choose right now, assuming a longterm holding with the option to switch between ETF's at any time?
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
I bought SatrixDiv @ 132 cps - they are now @ 109 cps.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dont forget sasol shares,you have to get him that
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if I could buy only one I would buy stx40. not resi or fini or anything because I don't know which sector will win over the next 18 years, but I know the market will be the best preforming asset class over that period. And not the db x-trackers as I get international market/currency exposure in stx40 via agl, bil, mtn, sab, etc.
0 Kudos
Bangbielie
Contributor
If you feel a little Platsak now, wait until you have kids.
0 Kudos
zeeman
Occasional Contributor
what are ETF's ...
0 Kudos