Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Shipping a car

zindc3
Contributor
Hi. Just fishing here. Does anyone of you know what it would cost to ship a car from UK to SA. The car is worth about 10000 pounds. Hope you can help. Cheers
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
jack12
Super Contributor
Call any of the shipping agents Grindrod, Schenker and they will give you a price.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Call customs in DBN harbour, they should best advise you. I had a friend who lives in Aus sent his dad a car (second hand but in excellent condition) from there as a birthday present. Arrived here and he had to pay R80K to release it into SA. Car was only worth about 70K to start with. So he told customs to keep it and send it back to AUS.... never arrived and "got lost" in transit. Insurance paid him but still car is missing.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Call pronto clearing on 021 5515692. They will be able to help you.Cheers
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No way that is wierd... I have been stalling doing somthing all week and it involves somthing Pronto is has to do for me... I have been busy on my other screen writing the submistions and I turn to this screen and I read your post having forgotten I had opened this post and it say phone pronto...it was a little bit like a massage from GOD...THANKS FOR THE PUSH.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No way that is wierd... I have been stalling doing somthing all week and it involves somthing Pronto is has to do for me... I have been busy on my other screen writing the submistions and I turn to this screen and I read your post having forgotten I had opened this post and it say phone pronto...it was a little bit like a massage from GOD...THANKS FOR THE PUSH.
0 Kudos
cope
Frequent Contributor
you can phone Frikkie Mienie he is handeling all my exports. tell him from where to where and he do everything for you. he even deliver the exportpapers to the truck drivers. Megafreight Services (Pty) Ltd Pretoria, South Africa Tel: +27 (0)12 460 8999 Fax: +27 (0)12 460 4302 www.megafreight.co.za
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
importing a car is not as easy as importing any old thing. if its for personal use you have to have owned and driven it for at least 12 months overseas in order for it to qualify as a personal item. otherwise you will need an import permit which for this commodity is hard to get i think. you will pay VAT on the customs value, negligible duty (this came down drastically since the heyday of charging 110% duties), export, pre carriage and load/packing charges overseas, freight, and local SA landside charges for clearing. its usually expensive and generally you'd have a really good reason as to why you would want to put yourself through that.
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
by the way, you can also call my mom's company, SABILA air & sea (presume you are in joeys ? 011 663-9600. they used to import all the cars for house of sportscars in rosebank, executive cars in hyde park etc etc. speak to my sister antje. from where exactly would the car be coming from and where to ? i work for MACS Maritime Carrier Shipping. we service SA-US gulf and north western continent.
0 Kudos