Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Short term growth using 200k

ZerOgravity
Contributor
I saved some money for a house deposit but its not enough( I cant get a better deal). So Im looking to add about 15-20% short term (<2 months).It will take me about 6months to save the rest.Any ideas out there?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
start buying warrants,or buy SSF's.you will do well
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If it was that easy a lot of people would be doing it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Are you also prepared to loose 20%?
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
My advice would be to go for the consumer related stocks like JDG and SHF although SHF abit expensive though at current levels wait for pull back to between 14 and 14.50 would be excellent entry. Also ACL will do well due to increasing demand for steel. Also SOL but wait for pullback. Split capital across 4 or 5 blue chip shares. Dont put all your eggs in one basket... very dangerous.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
less than 2 months is very short term and very high risk. if you cannot afford to loose that cash be very careful what you invest in for such a short term.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
The best financial advise I've ever heard!
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Werner is 100% correct, 2 months is a very short period of time to invest in any share or number of shares with high expectations. You need to give yourself more time. Btw just a word of advise stay away from ssf unless you have another 200k cover this market is looking abit overheated at current levels. So if you are prepared to ride the short term volatilty you will get decent returns on the above mentioned shares in the next 6 to 12 months. But then again this is probably out of your time window. Good luck!
0 Kudos
TOPIX
Regular Contributor
Hey Zero, whats up brother? In Jan you posted on this forum that your account has dropped from 80k to 30k. Now you want 20% growth in two months. It seems that you did better with saving than with trading. Think carefully before you decide to put hard earned savings into share trading. As you saw, it's not easy and you can lose your money.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
House prices are still dropping, so maybe the house will come into range as you save. Some (banks, and others) say it could continue until next year.

Any money in the market is at risk, more so than usual. The more you want to make, the more risk you take on. The odds of making big money in such a short timeframe is less (maybe much less) than 50/50, and figuring it out as you go reduces that further. Maybe put your toe into the market, but be careful.
0 Kudos
ZerOgravity
Contributor
Thanks for advice. I am not sure what to do yet , so I will hold on until there is a clear shift in one direction. I prefer not to venture into warrants or ssf's coz they are too risky. Was looking for a share that is currently undervalued with good growth prospects. Like someone mentioned OML a 2months ago when it was about 950 ...but thanks for the replies
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Money market. Don't even attempt buying shares or any derivative. You would be gambling (because of your time frame). Don't put your "dream" in jeopardy for a quick buck. Rather buy a cheaper house. I hope common sense will prevail.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
by a very very long way this is your best advice ..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
. . . . even if you managed to make a few bucks you still might have to pay tax on it. House prices are worth 10-50% of what the seller thinks it's worth. If your negotiation skills are good that 200K can get you far.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I absolutely have to agree. You will take on too much risk (even if you feel it is minimal). Anything could happen. Like Simon said a while ago black swan is never a planned senario but it happens.

Rather save the cash or even better, negotiate the heck out of the deal. Lower the price on your offer to what you can afford and take it from there. You never know the sellers position and the agent is only trying to secure the highest deal for their own pocket. Eventually it just is a case of maybe a few hundred rand in real terms to the agent but they never think in those terms.. Them trying to raise the price by 30 or 40k saying the seller will never accept a lower offer really means only about R1200 in there pocket on 40k price increase.

An agent has an obligation to present every offer in writing irrespective of the amount. The only person able to reject it is the owner/seller. If agent refuses to take your offer in writing, you have right to present an offer to seller directly. Agent will still have to be paid the comm (please DO NOT try bypass the agent (if one is involved) cause you and seller will be tied in a legal battle you want to avoid).
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hello Zero, I know that FNB is offering 100% bonds, especially with the Quick Sell program they got going on. Just be sure your credit record is great. Banks don't like repossessing houses and letting them sit on their books. Hope this tip helps. Regards PremoS
0 Kudos