Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Shorting Topi

DEP
Super Contributor
TOPI - what diff. way can one short the market? Is Deutsche waves Topdwr a good way?
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ALSI, STX40
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what is the barrier on topdwr
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what is the barrier on topdwr
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
what instruments?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
too close to barrier
0 Kudos
Not applicable
make sure you check the warrant makers commitment to making an market. They have a habit of rather conveniently being unavailable just when you need them most. They will also alter the rules of the game to their advantage half way through with a so called adjustment for volatility. I know there will be an inevitable rush to the banks defence but this is the reality you will experience. Rather speak to some people who have traded warrants in the past.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I thort your only warrant expereince was DRDIBA ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i was not speaking about myself...the most common comment I hear is "never again!"
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Thx Alsitrader... i have traded deutsche waves many times however the only one at the moment is topdwr (barrier 32000) which is too close... there must be a better instrument
0 Kudos
Not applicable
But since you bring up DRD yes i did short it all the way from 12 to below 5 I believe it was. People I know lost big time (im talking about their pensions) holding that warrant (not the warrants fault I know but worth mentioning).
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
SB issues barrier warrants, code TOPSK*
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but how many people are blaming the product for their own inability ??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
this chat forum (you included) in fact seemingly mst of everybody where all over that warrant .. till it expired worthless ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes there is sell a futures contract...cost you 19400 plus comm of about R10. gearing about 12X ..every 100 points is R1000. No exclusion from the market at certain times...complete transparency...no reliance on a reluctant market maker...u earn interest on the money... etc...of u can trade almi but not as liquid.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If your timeframes are daily - ALMI is the way to go, ALSI better, if you have the cash, but ALMI definitely the best (10 times more expensive than an ALSI though!)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you must be confused but you do make a good point about warrants...people can lose everything.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and unlimited risk which is an important point o make, especially if on is used to the limited (100%) risk of warrants ..
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
thx... i think ill got the alsi futures route. need to open futures acc. can it be do online?
0 Kudos