Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Shorting

Salv
Frequent Contributor
Wat instruments can be used to short a share, and which is the simplest to use?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
SSF simplest, but very dangerous (high leverage)
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
There are warrants too. Which is simpler? I'm not sure. I suppose they have similarities and differences. It's useful to understand both.
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
Yes PUT warrant....look for the EP's (European put). But choose based on weekly decay and leverage
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
I mean both warrants and futures :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
With CFDs there's no rollover fee (as you have with SSFs), and IMO the costs per trade is also less, especially if you trade smaller amounts.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Is there any truth in the rumour that we will be able to trade CFDs with Standard sometime soon?
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
yes, but cfd's are also unregulated - wont touch them with a barge pole!
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Ah yes - à la DealSteal... or Dealstream or whatever. I think I'd also rather stick to exchange traded SSFs with counter party guarantees an all than save the few bucks apparently to be saved on CFD transaction costs.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Contract for difference.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Global Trader, where I trade CFDs, seems quite solid. Their European operation had troubles last year with some trader's margin calls, and it forced them to take measures and become more vigilant. I like to trade small volumes on 10-20 different shares at once, and on StandardBank SSFs with their minumum nr allowed to trade - killed my position sizing.
0 Kudos