Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Shorts

Russ
Super Contributor
Does anyone have any suggestions for shorts that I can have a look at?
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Bouwer
Super Contributor
HAR, EXX
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
SHP : 140
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Russ, i will not "short" in this market. BE SAFE and DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Thanks.I like the look of har as it approaches the resistance of its down trend-will keep an eye on it. I see exx also approaching resistance but there are a few reverse H and S lined up so if it breaks out above about 14300 it could move up strongly. I can see shp is in a clear downtrend but I prefer not to short a share that is so oversold.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Thanks Preston. I am still long but having a couple of shorts acts as a sort of hedge. Anyway there are always some shares that go down even when the market is going up so could profit both ways if I pick the right ones.
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
IPL....
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Will watch that H and S on ipl that has formed over the last two months.If the neckline breaks it will be a good short.Also a bit oversold on the daily chart so might get a little bounce first.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
GFI also hitting the resistance of 50 and 100ema and getting quite overbought.Would like to see it turn first before shorting.
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
All the gold makers shot up the past 2 days by miles.. Gold got a &30 gain yesterday.. Should pull back though and GFI, ANG,HAR, SGL should follow..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
RUSS, have a look at Pinnacle for a short.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Preston, pnc gives me mixed signals. On the one hand it is overbought (daily rsi and sto) and is outside the upper bollinger band. Clive Roffey will tell you that this is a good time to short. On the other hand it has broken out of its bear channel which has formed over the last couple of months.I would say it has a target of about 1500 from that breakout.The weekly rsi and sto are also starting to move up from oversold levels. So in my opinion you might make money on a brief pullback but for me it's a bit risky.Personally I only enter a trade when all my ducks are in a row!
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I have chosen har and npn.
0 Kudos
Bouwer
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I see a negative divergence on the rsi (daily and weekly).It has dropped out of a rising wedge which has formed over the last 9 weeks and also dipped under its long term support line again,so unless it has a strong close today it looks negative. The daily rsi and sto are turning down from overbought levels.The results also disappointed the market.I felt that all that was enough to go short on but one never knows for sure.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Russ, well done on NPN.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Preston, unfortunately I only shorted today so it's a bit early to tell,but so far it seems to be heading in the right direction.
0 Kudos
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
Concerning NPN, I am not shorting it but waiting for a pull back as indicated to add to the position, where do you think it will pull back to?
0 Kudos
kingsol
Frequent Contributor
why cant we short exx on online share trading ?
0 Kudos
kingsol
Frequent Contributor
why cant we short exx on online share trading ?
0 Kudos