Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Should I take profits?

DU
Occasional Contributor
I cost averaged in at R9 when the price was collapsing. IÂ’m up 50% within 2-3 months! Should I exit and take profits or just hold? SGL have been surging of late, still looks cheap PE=4.4 and DY=4.6.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
sasa
Regular Contributor
What was your exit strategy when you bought the share? If you didn't have one, then suggest that you consider a trailing stop loss of x% (depending on your risk profile)
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
The man to ask is "REDRIDINGHOOD"
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
take one third profits now, bring your stop loss up to 11.30. Take off another one third at 75% increase in price from your entry...then ride the trend with the last one third by moving your stop into profit...by now you should be in a risk free and profitable trade. However i suggest do not average next time....
0 Kudos
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sasa, you took my line .. love it, but now you the new forum police for the Q "what was your exit strategy?"
0 Kudos
DU
Occasional Contributor
Just an update guys. I never sold after buying at R9, up 100% now and holding. Sentiment is still very negative towards gold and gold shares, although gold stock are up 50 odd percent this year alone. Also looks like we have a nice short squeeze going in gold as US economic seems to be disappointing. Gold / gold stocks can still go higher if Yellen halts or increases QE because of a weak US economy, so IÂ’m still holding my SGL. BTW I'm not leveraged, holding the stock not a derivative.
0 Kudos