Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Should i take profit or hold?

manicks
Regular Contributor
I bought a SSF on BIL at 181, do you guys think I should take profit at current levels 195 or still hold and sell around 205 as there could still be more upside potential due to US postive earnings outlook this week. Would appreciate your advice
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Preston
Super Contributor
Which is better "Realised profit" or "Fictitious gain"?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
there are a lot of trading strategies out there that would disagree totally with that statement
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I would sell, my opinion: bill is highly volatile for a time now and traders seem to take advantage of this fact. for now its peaking and forming a top, and if in red tomorrow then huge sell off as history repeats itself, and quickly so I might add.omo
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
That's the problem with only one SSF. Two or more is better for flexibilty - realise the profit with one and pray for the 'fictitous' gain with the other..
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Freeport-McMoRan [FCX 57.00 --- UNCH (0) ], US Steel [X 39.48 --- UNCH (0) ], BHP Billiton [BHP 59.40 --- UNCH (0) ], Eaton [ETN 48.94 --- UNCH (0) ], Caterpillar [CAT 36.65 --- UNCH (0) ] and the like will all run now because Wall Street knows that these cyclical stocks are too cheap given the coming turn, Cramer said. Stimulus spending will continue, and that will help companies beat last year's numbers handily. Remember, it's been almost a year since the doldrums of September 2008, when Lehman Brothers collapsed, credit was scarce and consumers refused to spend money. That will make for some "incredibly easy compares," and 2009's second-half numbers should come in much higher. This fact alone is enough to raise investors' spirits.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well if you suspect a rally, keep the stuff but keep the stoploss handy :)
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Thanks for all the useful comments. I have sold and will buy again after the correction. You never lose money by taking profit.
0 Kudos