Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Show me da money - advice?

Not applicable
Hi there, I have roughly lost R 20 000 since the beginning of this year when the markets started to fall. I have invested in various sectors. Is it better to stay in or get out and invest in other areas? I have about R 40 000 loose at the moment. What is a good share to buy to try and make up for my losses until end of this year?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Brazen
Super Contributor
What shares are you invested in Fundie? And it's really never a good idea to buy a share to try and make up losses. That kind of pressure leads to bad decisions usually.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Fundie. Your first mistake is to try and make up your R20 000 losses. Consider that as a write off. The psychology behind trading will lead you to more risky investments because you feel pressured to make up your losses. The second mistake you made was to ask this forum for advice. Do your own homework and then make a decision based on your findings. This will be a tough year to make up a 33% loss on an initial investment. My advice is to start to focus on longer term investments in undervalued blue chips and keep a few bucks aside for those low hanging fruit during the cause of the year like the MTN on the recent takeover announcement.omo
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Also the 20K isn't that relavent - the percentage loss is. If you invested 200K 10% loss is within stop loss parameters, if you invested 25k and lost 20, well that's not so good.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Best advise...Buy books about trading,its psychology and read and read and read...!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the markets started to fall, TOPI & ALSH hit new highs just yesterday. Wrong share selection or gummi bear syndrome?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Definatley a Super disease syndrome!!!LOL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Like herpes he lies dormant, only to flare up at the least provocation.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, when he is supposed to be playing the Jewish piano in his uncle's shop!
0 Kudos
jamoo
Frequent Contributor
hey, education is key. charts are immensely important, buy low sell high. resources is where all the action is. undervalue bluechips may remian undervalue for the next 10 years! its not very smart. understand your charts, read the forum but don't take any suggestion until you do your research. don't get emotional you can not win all the time. and lastly, the money you lost its gone.
0 Kudos
mosismoke
Contributor
Fundie patience pays even though I do not know which stocks you are holding. By the end of december last year I 'lost' about 50% of my money and have snce recovered obviously not all off it but a huge chunk. And all my resources are now positive. Long term you may recover.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
No one answered the question!!!!
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Here is a few I like and will probably make you some cash! ELI,ZED,SAM for short term in and outs. More longer term LBT,TWP,MUR,MSM,IPL,WHL,and obviously the king SOL!!!!gotta have SOL!!
0 Kudos