Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Silver

Not applicable
Ahh so the inevitable happened, and silver failed to trade above its new high.If I am not mistaken Simon posted a article a few months ago with the author saying silver is still a buy.I wonder if he feels it still is?Well $26 reached.Shame bwahahhha
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an I know an oke who went long with some R2m at $18, rode it all the way to almost $50, and still holds .. ouch ..
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Gold and silver are sill buys. Short term I think this little "correction" is going to give a fantastic buy opportunity just like when it dipped under 9 in 2008. From a longer perspective the fundamental reasons for owning gold and silver havnt changed. I personally didnt see silver getting thumped THAT hard but hey means I can buy more oz's. Simon you must be devistated about the value of that 1oz :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well he can always double up on his investment.lol
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Paul fundamentally silver is a buy?you must be joking things have changed, silver didn't have a little correction it was a crash!If you have money to burn and like playing with knives hey who am I to call you bluff all i can say is good luck
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
devastated not even close to how I feel .. completely gutted and betrayed .. emotionally ruined, here was the one chance for a precious metal to reward me, and it bailed .. gonna toss it into the Jukskei and never touch a silver again ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
some folks are calling silver to US$8 ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ITs all about the dollar baby! Age old tried and tested principle. Dollar goes up, metals come down. And the dollar is now in an uptrend.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
silver is a tiny market. Round about 1 billion oz are available. And of course not all for sale. But lets assume they are thats 30billion USD. Its a tiny market and as such is likley to be volitile. Silver like gold (to a lesser degree) has historically been a monetary metal. Currently people dont see it they way they see it like gold. Its still industrial to most people. But silver, like gold is a monetary metal. Its is a story of value like gold. This I know is not a commonly held view (yet) I say its a buy becuase like gold there is no counterparty with the physical metal. As more people realise this more people will be drawn into the tiny silver market (look how fast it went up to 50, totally unsustainable but thats what happens when money flows into a small market) Its been sold off from 50 to 32, to 42 to 28. Could it go lower, sure just look at 2008 for how big silver can move. But going forward its got industrial uses as well as investment demand. I think its got better upside potential than gold. Can it go lower? Of course. I saw 35 as the downside target and 1600 for gold. Was way off there. However lets talk in 3-6 months and once the panic has susbided and the margin calls dealt with the uptrend will resume. Simon, USD 8? I say unlikely but I said that about gold under 1600. If you want the universe to laugh tell it your plans and all that. The key here is the lack of counterparty risk with holding gold/silver. When banks start failing and govs start to default what would you rather hold. Thats my reasoning.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Wait until the panic subsides? I thought you gold bugs were all about panic - and the safe haven status of the precious yellow (and silver) metals?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don't get counter party risk with stocks .. sure lots of risks, but not counter party ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
How can you say you don't have counter party risk with Gold? Maybe Kruger rands sure, but most gold and silver contracts are ETN's, massive counter party risk, since these are unsecured, uprotected debt securities that are traded on the exchange, but who's fortunes are pegged to the creditworthiness of the institution launching them, according to my understanding?
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Physical. I buy silver bars and mainly krugerrands. ETNs I totally agree with you unsecured and not in your posession. I use them as trading vehicles. By Panic I mean panic selling. Then people will move back in on the long side. Govs cant pay at the end of the day. The financial crisis is morphing into a soverign debt crisis. Thats the counterparty risk I was refering to. Why do asians buy so much physical metal? They dont trust their banks / gov. The west still does tho I think a lot of people are questioning the system these days. Its of course personal pref but Ive been accumulating physical since 2005 and Im sure I will for years to come. Its a long term view not a trade. I view this like the post lehman episode. A big buying opportinuty
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
SORRY about the fellow on the $50.00 - you have to know when to fold. If you want to make a PROPER investment in silver then go to the straussart auction- not too late for a phone bid - some good examples there - and this silver is not subject to market bubbles - just changes in taste - and it always comes round. Oh and you get to enjoy it....Another Oh - no CGT...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why no CGT?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
No CGT because you put tea in it, or wine, or flowers or whatever and all your friends admire it : it is a "personal-use asset" - ie "used mainly for purposes other than the carrying on of a trade....."( note gold or platinum coins cannot be "personal-use assets") But this is starting to border on financial advice - a no go area.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
All I can say is yesterday was a gift for silver. YUM YUM YUM
0 Kudos
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
I bought two silver contracts yesterday I am hoping christmas has come early.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
good on ya. 50% return (almost) in 1 day. Nothing wrong with that!
0 Kudos
Frogg
Frequent Contributor
Paul what targets have you got in mind.
0 Kudos