Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Simon PB: Setting stop losses

Not applicable
Simon, I attended your course re trading skills last week (as well as the "intro to the website" course). You mentioned that the stop loss used on your "beta" system is is 20%. I am assuming that the warrants traded have a gearing of 10 (this is the mean of the gearing of all call warrants on the Alsi 40 currently on offer). If so, your effective stop loss on the underlying is 2%. Thus, for example, if one trades Alsi40 index futures with an effective gearing of 10 (obviously, one can trade Alsi40 futures with far more leverage), one's stop loss should be +/- 480 points (i.e. 2% of the underlying). Does this make sense?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yes, yes and yes. Remember I initially use 20% on teh warrant until break even then I go to lower lows on EOD.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Simon - Just to clarify re the trailing stop: once you reach breakeven, you move your stop at the end of each day to the low of that day?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, on a red day I set my stop at the close of the red day. On green days I leave my stop in place (at the red day close). This stop is on the underlying index and is EOD.
0 Kudos