Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Simon, me,me,me again - Questions of the month!

Not applicable
1. Why are there 42 shares in the TOP 40? 2. Why are there CFD's on shares but not necessary warrants on those same shares? 3. How can I lose more money on a CFD/SSF than what I initially spend? You will just sell my current position if I get a margin call, till you have sold them all to cover the margin calls and then close the position.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Levitt
Regular Contributor
On the cfd question, let's say you have a R4500 margin requirement on you position and R2500 cash in your account, if the position goes bad it will first start deducting on cash, once that's gone it will deduct on your margin, so if both empty you made a R7000 loss. Otherwise you should have moved the remaing cash to another account, risking only your initial margin.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
because mondi and investec are in the index twice wih the ltd and plc stocks ..
coz different people decide ..
coz if the marketing gapping or moving with speed we may not be able to close you out in time .. more of an issue with brokers who only do MTM at day end, we do it in real time so less of an issue ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So the bottom line is that I will only lose more than my initial purchase amount if I have spare cash in my trading account. Hmmm, I open a seperate CFD account that contain an exact amount of money to cover my initial purchase. The same goes for purchasing SSF's. It's like having an account stop-loss, instead of a standard stop-loss and when that kicks in SBk will manage my finances for me, auto selling my CFD contract and putting the spare bucks back into my account.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Here is the main question: How far/long will SBk wait before they make a margin call?
0 Kudos