Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Simon , much is made of the importance of placing a stop loss

Not applicable
Then why is it such a process to place one ? Why can't there be a button on the trade page for it or even to make it part of the order?
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable
Hi Pascal I am so pleased that you have brought up this topic. I have attended a couple of the SBK seminars and Simon, for one, has been so emphatic re necessity of stop loss. From my own modest trading experience I do not to be convinced about the wisdom of it all. But, hey guys, what a mission. Surely, like you say, there must be some means to simplify. I would rate this as an absolute priority. Thxks Jangat
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
Integrating it with the order page would make things easier, but clicking on my account, my portfolio, stop loss isn't a long or complicated process.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Levit, surely easier according to my suggestion?
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
I agree it would be easier, but I don't have an issue with the current SL system.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Jangat .. have a look at the 10 year chart of ddt .. that'll change your mind re stop loss forever, and understand the difference between investing and trading ..

an the real good news re all the hassels .. we're in the final stages of our mind reading machine .. so you'll all be able to trade in your sleep soon ..
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Only issue with SL for me is I have the knack to set it within few points of excatly the turning point of the share!
0 Kudos
Levitt
Regular Contributor
Haha, they should rename it to Price Magnet!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am not jangat or any other gat for that matter and I also don't know what you mean.If you want to explain something,do it properly
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Seems this thread has gone to the dogs!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Yeah, too much barking going on here...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, especially when all the little brakkies, that does not have anything constructive to do, want to give a jap, to let the world know that they also exist. This was a sincere and constructive question to start with that was not answered originally.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
On IG Index and other trading/investing facilities you can place your stop loss before you enter the trade. Surely SBK could also provide this facility?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Firstly IGindex is a spread betting not share trading, big difference. Secondly, to Pascal, to put a stop loss on a purchase is quite difficult, I would imagine, because you can't always purchase at the price you request sometimes trades go through other times they don't sometimes at different prices. So stick to the basics of trading and you will be fine without the stop-loss upon purchasing. I believe that simon did answer you're question.
0 Kudos