Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Simon on lessons learnt

louisg
Super Contributor
Hi Simon. As someone with vast experience in the market, what would you deem as the most valuable lessons you have learnt over the years. Both from an investor and trader perspective.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
divz
Super Contributor
Well, Louis the first thing i would say is to trade the price and forget about everything else oh yes and make sure your tie matches your outfit for tv appearances and then nothing like a good glass of wine after a hard days trading obviuosly using the lazy system.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
investor = ignore the noise and short term stuff .. check your stocks only every 6 months when results come out ..

trader - stop loss (which is money management, but is you only do stop loss you'll at least last longer and maybe survive long enough to get smart) ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oh, an ignore the media .. all of it ..
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
A trader needs a trading plan that has presise rules for entry and excit. First you must forward test such a plan to build confidence in it so it will be easier to trust the rules when you go live. Then it is up to you to keep the disepline needed to stick to it.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Simon, your thoughts are much appreciated, thanks. BUT Classic 102.7FM Tuesday nights at 7pm stays.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Spot on Ian. In my short experience (5 years) it appears DISCIPLINE is the key to a successful investing and/or trading strategy.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
of course .. it goes without saying - ignore the media - except when the media is me ..
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
I follow now. Ignore the youdia, follow the media.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Convinee a bank to pay you sh%t loads of money teaching suckers to trade . . . oh, I forgot, my name isn't Simon.
0 Kudos