Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Simon please help with this!! It is relevant to everybody.

prancing_horse
Super Contributor
My children have been given access to all my accounts that have geared instruments (cfd's and ssf's} and have been told to liquidate only these the minute they hear of my death, bad accident, etc. As for the rest of the portfolio, that has been taken care of in my will.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Been executor on 2 deaths in family-not a walk in the park but not as bad as playing the dutchmen at rugby.I found lawyers and banks pretty cooperative and we tried to act in best interests of beneficary at all times.The tax man however is a pain and made sure he got as much as possible-it took a while and patience was needed.Shares we kept.Some investment policies were cashed in and a few transferred to beneficary-not the most exciting journey in life but not a train smash.
0 Kudos
genie2b
Frequent Contributor
Would there be not more benefit if all your doings is done via a trust. The trust owns the car, the bond, the accounts and etc...then in your will you hand the trust over to whoever handles the affairs afterwards?
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Trust has some merits although current debate around trusts, death taxes and capital gains would make me a bit nervous about putting all my eggs into the trust basket.Another approach is to have shares in name of cc or company and let beneficaries bcome members of cc-lots of ways to skin a cat but not one solutions suits all-I prefer a combination of approaches-it's a very interesting area this estate planning-there are lots of so called experts around-you can listen to what they say but be careful-they often are punting a particular product that they are marketing-same as most financial advisors imo.
0 Kudos