Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Site with demo trading please??

Mar-11
Super Contributor
Does any body know of a free website where one can trade without using real money, the NB thing is that it must include the cost of trade aswell?? (preferabally similiar cost structure to ost) I have a couple short term trading techniques would like to try before putting real $$.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
john_1
Super Contributor
do it on excel..truth is mate until there is real money and real emotions you will learn nothing.. its like tight rope walking 2 inches from the ground vs tight rope walking 20 feet up... that difference... is the skills gap learnt over time.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
i think emotions will play a much lesser roll if you are 100% confident in your system and that you have proven to yourself that your system works as long as you keep ur emotions out. If you are still doubting your system then obviously fear, etc will over take you way before you turn profit. What i really want to do is test a number of systems on a multiple single days and calc the different return, variances etc, on the different systems,( and see which one is best), the systems could have multiple trades on a single day, excel could become hectec.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
in your eg. of tight rope walker, u are not going to be confident walking 20 feet up, if you are yet to practise and complete the walk at 2 inch?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you have a true mechanical system (like the lazy trading system) a demo account is actually pretty handy for forward testing. I should start asking Global Trader for advertising commision - they have demo trading.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
You could buy Amibroker - it's cheap, get the historic data from from SBK OST - few hundred rand and start working on your stategy. Load that stategy into Amibroker, backtest and bob's your uncle. You need to do a bit of homework in other words.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes Amibroker good for backtesting, but still a demo account is good for forward testing - that is if your system is 100% mechanical.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
0 Kudos