Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

So GFI did not meet criteria to short, but ASA did

HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
While people were busy discussing the GFI conversation, Absa popped into my list of short positions. So the short went in, the stop loss was set and now I thought to see how the team of experienced traders see this one going. Would be nice to see this one working the way of the trading plan.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
sponono
Super Contributor
...........and the brewing Head and Shoulders in SOL.Mmmmmmmmmmm......
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
Good point, I will have a look at that one. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I completely missed out on seeing that one.
0 Kudos
Pluto
Contributor
My opinion is you are shorting against an incomplete uptrend - the momentum is positive and has some way to go before it tops out and becomes oversold - and then a short might be on. It occurred to me: our subconscious feeds us regret and revenge trades and so I am just putting it out there that you think this is a good short because you missed the short on 25 June?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So, you want to short a stock that has a 4.5% div yield, that benefits directly from a positive GDP forecast and that has been trading basically sideways since July. There are better shorts out there IMO. I would short resources, if I was going to short anything. Exx, KIO, ARI - they are all looking better for the shorting category.
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
Again thank you for your views, I will consider these items in my analysis. It is always good to get an informed view from people who take the time to think through trades. Much apreaciated, especially the comment about the revenge trade, could be true for me.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Hungrypunter,if its a mechanical system, then all the above comments should not really affect your trades. Try the system on the ALSI futures, then you dont have to go looking for trades that meet your criteria.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yo Rams. How do i get information on mechanical system
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
Complements to all who contributed. I was stopped out and I will review all comments made in the thread and review if I can use these comments to improve on my strategy. Again thank you for contributing in a positive way.
0 Kudos
Pluto
Contributor
Just to complete the story HungryPunter: I went short ASA at 4:20 this afternoon as my momentum indicator turned down from an overbought level - additional motivators were the whole banking sector was down while the broader market rallied. So your idea to short ASA was probably early by a day, but the right call. On another note, I have noticed in the last while that when resources rally, banks and retailers go into a tailspin - today was no different - can't explain why but it is just happening! Maybe just sector rotation?
0 Kudos