Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

So,what's better ?

Not applicable
Trading ALSI futures thru DWT or Std Bank's platform ? Enlighten me,dazzling daytrader types.I'm seriously thinking of getting in on this stuff.
0 Kudos
63 REPLIES 63
grommet
Regular Contributor
zarp with yoeur pacience with gld i think neither
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
but seriously you'll need a fast platform for day trading that is.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Anything specific ? I've seen Chartist's layout.Like it.I'm just wondering whether I should use this OST or DWT's platform.How's the costing,upon comparison ? I use IG's charts with a Demo-acc.Works.
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
yes could work just keep them stops in place
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
some thorts ..

make sure you trade a real price (not some shaded price), full cost disclosure (and low costs, including booking fees etc.) and trusted counter party .. yes SAFEX secures you, but is your 'platform' actually putting the trade via SAFEX??

chartist layout is crazy .. I sometimes trade ALSI futures off a 10inch laptop .. all those screen just gonna give you sun burn ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Right,Simon,now you're scaring me with shaded-prices talk.Good.I like fear.So, basically you're saying go through this OST coz they are SAFEX direct...right?Do you trade thru this OST for your ALSI games ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I trade on OST .. there are tons of totally legit SAFEX brokers ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So how's the costing ? Pretty average allround ? Whether DWT or OST ?
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
as usual simon's thort's are good
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
VI, do you have 2 questions, whether to intraday trade ALSI futures and which platform. Be warned, once you start index futures trading, all the other trading stuff becoomes boring and tedious.Best part is that it is an end game... like gambling.Profit or loss, it all ends at 17HOO. No margin call to worry about or another 911 or mining rights...OST paltform just fine.You might even want to take time off from work for a day and trade ALSI because it grabs you by the ...Maybe thats why SIMON left ? DAYTRADING ,RICH IN TIME,THE MARKET AN ATM.eh,eh,eh...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah, some places will charge as much as R100 for a 1 contract trade .. cheapest comes in less then R15 all inclusive (vat, booking fees, etc.) ..
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
VI, Simplicity is the name of the game. You need leading indicators to know (well, calculated risk guess at best) when a trade is setting itself up. When they trigger you fire, then set a stop loss and forget. Simple. I can send you an OST Easy Trader layout that I use if you want.... futurespros.com gives you all futures indices which indicates Global sentiment. If they all in the green accept for the VIX you know it is gonna be a long day. Like Wednesday.... Thanks spo' for the link.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
Simon - just to get this clear in my head. OST does all ALSI trades direct with SAFEX?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
see your post on the other forum for reply.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanx a-plenty guys....I'm scribbling notes as fast as I can(heh).Will back-test till I find 'The Way"...Cheers.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Remember AGL and BIL make up 27.5% of the Top40. Check the correlation between the three.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
in a nutshell, OST & DWT are the only viable platforms on the market. Pricing is much of a muchness, but DWT has a significantly better platform to trade real time from. OST is still veeeerrrryyyyy sloooowwwww
0 Kudos