Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

So where to now?

barry_1
Super Contributor
I'm doing research on which sectors will do well in a recession(from own experience of the past) and also what others think and hopefully Simon might add something as to where to look as well? Will let u know,that is if any body is interested later next week.Interestingly enough the only two sectors that went up very well , were other than residential property and gold.I've a feeling that gold might be a knee jerk reaction and am doubtful if a strong rally can be maintained for any length of time as it does not earn income on holding and costs and there are limited uses for it and of all the gold ever in the world about 90% is there or can be recovered.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
shares
Contributor
Food. People still need to eat. Blue chip. Large companies tend not to suffer as much during a down turn. I'm not very bullish on property over the next year or two. I think the liquidity is drying up and that will slow things to a crawl.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Yep food is right Spar still a buy.
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Food is one option but not spar, either pick n pay or checkers depending which side of the tracks you live.
0 Kudos
org
Super Contributor
Spar shows paper profits but I think they B'llsh@t, as they have a massive bank overdraft.I look always for only one thing on results:debt and bank overdraft.Based on this , many of our large companies are tecnicallly bancrupt,i am just waiting for the dominoes to start falling....could take moths or years, but sure to come.see my posting below...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Along the line of food companies; what about - drugs, tobacco, drink. But maybe more a case of them doing less bad then doing well. Also high end luxury? Article yesterday about all the new billionaires, now sure some will disappear, but how many will remain? The article suggested enough remain seriously wealthy to keep the luxury companies going?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Like Rupert says.."as long as men want to get lucky on a saturday night, and woman want men to prove their love, there will always be a market for my luxuary brands."
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dudes, it may be my erternally optimistic nature, but I don't think we is going to see a recession. At worst, a coupla quarters might be softer but I still reckon the Great Satan is going to weather this one. Global markets remain sound, and the US economy shows no sign of breakdown, even if it looks like a dude the morning after a bachelor party. Shucks, even the Dow is holding its levels nicely. Taking a defensive posture could be expensive.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Gravy is right medium term. I was reading tires for minning trucks are unavailable due to demand and second hand tires cost x2 the new ones.. but short term Take cover or go short.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It's just that I see Friday's dow close as erring towards bullish - it closed red but did not push the 129 level - makes me think sellers are drying up. Buyers are also less confident that they can get stocks cheaper if they just wait. If anything, it's the bulls who are afraid - they could miss an upside and be left scrabbling to get back in.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Did you go short Gravy?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Naw, I'm physiologically averse to anything that has 'short' innit. Still, buying on the dips. Caution, though, not to get into a falling knife scenario so nothing that's not on a long term level. (actually I know a dude who once tried his hand at knife throwin, dropped a blade and is now, erm, short.) Anyway, expect the dow to now test 129. If that holds, another short term bounce as it runs back up at resistance.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
That 'short' story of yours reminds me of old Isak Beyers that came back from army as IB. When asked about the abbreviated name he reckoned he lost the sak eyers in a land mine accident.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
..he he.. good one, dude
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Wayne McCurrie last night said the best defensive is cash. There after banks, but they will still move weaker - but less then the average market weakness.
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
I don't think you need to worry about a recession.
0 Kudos