Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

So who out there is really clever?

Not applicable
I have been experimenting with a buy and sell signal for the past few months and I have had great success....it seems to be something that can be used in these market conditions quite well and I need someone who can code to write something that we can all use preferably for Amibroker.....The indicator is called the squeeze indicator (developed by John Carter)....I have contacted him and he is quite happy for anyone to use the indicator...he does sell a version but it only works for esignal and trade station. I have downloaded various attempts at a code for Amibroker but none of them work. Essentially the squeeze indicator works on the principle that in periods of low volatility shares build up the energy the need for their next big move (they are in a squeeze). Obviously the time to buy them is not during this time as 1) they are not moving and 2) you dont know which direction the move will be in. So when is the volatility enough to confirm a move? The squeeze indicator works by looking at a combination of bollinger bands (which are a measure of volatility and Kelltener channels (which are standard deviations above and below the price). When the bollinger bands are inside the Kelltner channels the share is in a squeeze....when they move outside the bollinger bands the squeeze has fired a buy or sell signal....the direction whether a buy or sell is determined by whether the momentum oscilator is above or below the zero line.....simple enough and no doubt about entry points....either a squeeze fires or it doesnt....anyone who is interested in working on this can mail me on [email protected]
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable
I downloaded code from the Amibroker library that is called a Bollinger Band squeeze. It sounds similar to what you are revering to as it attempts to give the direction before the squeeze is over. Maybe this can assist.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yeah I tried that...doesnt work...maybe I am doing something wrong...
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
There was a guy I think Skippy that called Bhpbilliton down after the rally to 260 and then again and he was spot on he must be a genius.
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Hi Chartist, 1) I use Amibroker. 2) I am extremely interested in programmatically generating buy and sell signals, but 3) am still on the beginners pages of AFL. Would be happy to be part of a collaborative effort to try get something working. Please also PM me your e-mail address to [email protected] , I have some other ideas to bounce around with you.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
On the formula page of Amibroker library they will give you the option to download the file. Click there and select all and copy. Paste into amibroker. If you do not use the download facility you will get errors and then have to backspace some lines etc.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanlk very much learner I tried that...all I got was the set up of the channels etc...i didnt get the coloured dots indicating the squeeze and the histogram etc....what do you get?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My side show the dots and squeeze. If you are not successful with this I was thinking whether you do not want to experiment with dragging both Bollinger and Kettner over price and then use your favourate indicator to assist with the breakout level. I use StoRsi,Williams %R and Ultimate as well as normal RSI. Will then check 50 and 200 MA and support, resistance on Fibonacci. This works for me.
0 Kudos