Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Some say it's time to get to the US?

stockdale
Not applicable
Some economic discussions are indicating that it's time to look to the US? Any comments. Perhaps Online SHare Trading could provide some more in debth information on the DBX EFT's.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
boing
Frequent Contributor
I am holding DBXUS at the moment. Not very impressed. DB is out of the market more than it is in it. % spread between bids and offers changes all the time. I know it is linked to the MSCI index which is a bit weaker than when I bought it. I am actually surprised though that it shows almost no growth although I bought it when $=R7.43. Is there any other product(not derivatives) that I can buy from OST that will give me R/$ exposure without any other variables having an impact?
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
Don't really want to expose myself to any form of derivative.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you hold enough cash with a small futures position, it is very much equivalent to holding the foreign currency, but without any foreign exchange ramifications. What in particular is your objection to derivatives?
0 Kudos
boing
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the replies. Timato, I will first have to upskill myself when it comes to currency futures because I know nothing about it and about futures in general. I don't for instance understand you first statement about a lot of cash and a small position. I also equate futures to much higher risk or then perceived risk. But it is difficult to find something else that expose you to currency fluctuations and nothing else. The management costs on something like offshore income funds are very high which is also discouraging to me.
0 Kudos