Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Someone was lucky

stores
Super Contributor
Someone made about R 18 000 and someone lost that (+_ 9.5%) today buying Satrix Fini at 5 o'clock at R7.45. Yesterdays closing was R8.24 and it was trading at around that level the whole day. Probably an at market sell order. Well done to the person buying. The lesson is DO NOT BUY or SELL at market.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Agreed - however I got lucky some months ago from placing an order that got auctioned at very agreeable price, lower than my intention. Maybe not the same thing you are referring?
0 Kudos
Krypt0n1te
Occasional Contributor
This scares the *#@$ out of me!!! If you trade at market and you want to buy...surely you should get the lowest offer to sell????? I really don't understand? Why would someone put in a offer to sell waaaaay below the ruling price? ...and if he had the order in "at market" it should've been much closer to the ruling price. So confused right now!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just as confused...is the norm than to trade on limits? If I want to sell a share, should I then benchmark it against the ruling price or bid price? Realisticaly speaking,what % should I up it by to match an order for that day?Trading at market price just seems conveinant.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
somebody as foolish and placed an at market sell .. that then ts the best buyer who was some way off .. lesson is simple, don't use at market ..
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
This may spark a bit of buying at a lower price before readjusting to normal trading.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah, market maker will be back at 9.10 this morn and price will revert to FV ..
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
would this trigger a trailing stoploss ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
ohh , see there is a seller at 745 , could be one
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
so alot of people looking to pick up stoplosses ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yep, this was major stupid. The question is, what or who do you shake out of the system when doing stupid stuff like this? Putting a sell order in for 745 when the item had been trading all day at 824. Simon what happens to the guys with CFD's in a case like this. They take a massive "knock" and then it recovers again?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they didn;t put a 745c sell order .. it was more likely an @market sell order .. an yes the CFD P|L looks way ugly over night ..
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
I see three trades were done early this morning taking advantage of this mess up before the price got back to a rational level. Bet John saw the opportunity and took it? ..LOL... Next time I spot something like this I will keep quite and try and do it myself. (I think they call it arbitartion..Could be wrong but there would have been little risk).
0 Kudos