Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Spam: Standard Bank : Periodical Security Account Update

Man_T
Contributor
recieved this mail now now, Subject: Standard Bank : Periodical Security Account Update Secure message received: We request information from you for the following reason: Unauthorized login attempt. Please visit your account and make necessary steps before your account is locked for security reasons. If this is an unauthorised login attempt, we strongly advise that you immediately log on to profile and change your password. It is recommended that you regularly change your password and keep your passwords unique from all other passwords. Management. The link lead to: http://yeshouse.mk.co.kr/my/visual/redirect.php beware guys
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable
This is not just ordinary spam, but it appears some form of fraud is also there (presenting itself as somebody it is not) Actual laws regarding spam on the inernet appear to be fairly non-existent. I did some investigation a while ago. Here is part of an article I had on http://www.allvoices.com/ : Providers such as Google, Yahoo and Microsoft keep a watch on us, but who keeps a watch on them? You might mention your own website on another website and be told that you are spamming or spamming with the intention of producing business, but if you are spammed by the big boys who do you turn to? Well I have posed the spamming question to government bodies in South Africa, Ireland, more generally The United Kingdom, and to the United States without having any luck. The United States Government body, The Federal Communications Commission (website at http://www.fcc.gov/aboutus.html ) says this about itself: The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions. When I contacted them about regulating spam, they had the following to say: The FCC does not regulate the Internet or Internet Service Providers (ISPs). Contact your state consumer protection office or if there is possible fraud involved, contact the Federal Trade Commission or the Department of Justice's Internet Fraud Complaint Center. There are currently no Federal or state laws regulating the use of or content contained on the Internet Note that they say, "There are no Federal or state laws regulating..." One newspaper reporter I contacted told me that this was a concern of his as there is no regulation to speak of higher up - seemingly no body designed to control the big ISPs One solution would be to have state controlled email addresses. This might seem a bad idea, but your post box is possibly already controlled. I have been informed that, in South Africa, for example, if you keep on receiving unsolicited mail after you have notified the sender that you do not want it, you can report this and have action taken, no matter who it is from. Just try to report one of the big ISPs for spam and you might decide that state controlled email addresses is not such a bad idea.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Standard Bank clients are being hammered by the internet croocks. They have websites that look identical to Standards websites. Be very careful.
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
I receive some these messages at least once a week. The link points to a different site each time. The owners of such sites might not even know about it. What is strange though is that these messages are sent to me on the e-mail address used by the card division to send my monthly statements. I just wonder. It will be intersting to analyse the link on the submit button to see where the info finally goes.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I get 1 - 3 a day and it would seem the 2 favorites are SBK and SARS (and winning the lotto every week ... YAY... ) but I seldom if ever get anything for the other banks, You would think ABSA would be the main target but not from the mails I get.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Oh forgot to mention, I dont even have an SBK account except for OST...
0 Kudos