Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Spar under pressure?

mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
With the fairly constant expansion in SA by PnP,SHP and to a lesser extent MSM someone must eventually suffer? I have noticed KWIKSPARS under pressure as they cannot match the pricing of the main chains (and their own SUPERSPARS)....and seem to be diversifying into all sorts of things (non-grocery). These items don't look like they are bought through the buying group - which will ultimately affect the SPAR group. What is it like anywhere else in the country?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Blik
Super Contributor
Funny I had the opposite kind of thought....a few weeks ago while driving between Nanaga, or pie fame, and Grahamstown over a 60km stretch, en route back from PE, 7 SPAR trucks passed me going towards PE. I wouldn't have expected that many. So now I keep an eye open for them, and there seem to be a lot. Fairly worthless info, but keeps me busy on the drive.
0 Kudos
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Solid results...I was wrong! .....
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Their div yield and growth forecast means they not expanding, or not wanting to grow, or can't grow....
0 Kudos
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
Growth is interesting...CEO was on CH410 just now....they cannot build much of an Africa story due to various ownership/brand/territory issues. The garage/forecourt story is a non-event as it will be tiny, so they are maybe going to be stuck in trying to beat their competitors growth story - sad as a well run and efficient co. Maybe there is a clothing opportunity on the back of massive success in liquor and hardware?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
The sheep and the fish have it. I love the owner concept( and their community involvement shows it ) but sadly the model is under pressure and there really is no where to go. Trucks on the road ? We are regularly in Graaff Reinet and there are two SPARS's there(?) And guess who is opening soon - PnP....Schade!
0 Kudos