Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Spar under pressure?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
With the fairly constant expansion in SA by PnP,SHP and to a lesser extent MSM someone must eventually suffer? I have noticed KWIKSPARS under pressure as they cannot match the pricing of the main chains (and their own SUPERSPARS)....and seem to be diversifying into all sorts of things (non-grocery). These items don't look like they are bought through the buying group - which will ultimately affect the SPAR group. What is it like anywhere else in the country?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Funny I had the opposite kind of thought....a few weeks ago while driving between Nanaga, or pie fame, and Grahamstown over a 60km stretch, en route back from PE, 7 SPAR trucks passed me going towards PE. I wouldn't have expected that many. So now I keep an eye open for them, and there seem to be a lot. Fairly worthless info, but keeps me busy on the drive.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Solid results...I was wrong! .....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Their div yield and growth forecast means they not expanding, or not wanting to grow, or can't grow....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Growth is interesting...CEO was on CH410 just now....they cannot build much of an Africa story due to various ownership/brand/territory issues. The garage/forecourt story is a non-event as it will be tiny, so they are maybe going to be stuck in trying to beat their competitors growth story - sad as a well run and efficient co. Maybe there is a clothing opportunity on the back of massive success in liquor and hardware?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
The sheep and the fish have it. I love the owner concept( and their community involvement shows it ) but sadly the model is under pressure and there really is no where to go. Trucks on the road ? We are regularly in Graaff Reinet and there are two SPARS's there(?) And guess who is opening soon - PnP....Schade!
0 Kudos