Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Standard Bank-Why oh why?

platsak
Super Contributor
Any news out there. Mayor support coming up. Will it fall sub 70?. Dropping on low volumes. Possible mayor bounce coming up? Or will it just drop further?!! Any opinions
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well if the trend is your friend, and it always is, then you have an answer.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Simon. No actually I dont have an answer?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
take a daily line chart with nothing on it but the price. Then lean back in your chair and look at the chart asking yourself which way it is going. The answer either jumps out at you in which case this has to be your bias as to the direction to trade. OR nothing jumps out at you in which case sit on your hands until something does jump out. With SBK what jumps out at you is that this stock is going down. Will it continue, who knows, but calling the bottom is a mugs game.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Simon. Youre problably right.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Platsak,I have some news."Moody's cautious and watchful on S A banks". Read the article on www.moneyweb.co.za
0 Kudos
deanmg
Contributor
i have asked the question previously: when are banks going to stop going down? i believe we fully feel the effects of each interest rate increase 12 months after the increase. Does this mean until EVERYTHING calms down banks will start stabilising? I have been wanting to get into Absa and Standard for a while now because to my 'young and stupid' mind they are looking incredibly attractive at these levels - the only problem is that they keep dropping lower and lower and lower still... very confuzzled with when to get in!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
buy them when they start going up, not a blip higher, use the logic above and wait until the up trend jumps out at you. You'll miss the absolute bottom, but hey you're going to miss it anyway.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
watch the regression line as well,although u wont get in at the bottom,when it starts to run still going down but near horizontally,then look at other indicators and decide what to do....Summit last week tipped SBK,it is a very good share.Banks generally will probably not do badly at their next interims and FSR final.How ever it is about the general economy which is expected to deliver a weaker than usual performance in the next six months,as major shares take their que from whats going to happen in the near future.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
I personally think we are near the bottom. But Simon is problably right in saying that one musnt try to call the bottom. Its still very frustrating not trying to do it. Big funds problably waiting for certain levels before buying in again. Im guessing between 72-74. There must be excellent value at that levels?
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
The bottom is near. BUY
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ah, a man with a crystal ball. Now that's what I need in my life :)
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Surely market perception and sentiment are playing a big role now. The gurus all tell us that the PE is really low, and the Div. Yld is offering great value. The share still goes south, perhaps the high inflation, coupled with other factors like petrol hikes and food prices will cause problems for the consumers. (We all know this). Houses will start being reposessed. Just look in the papers to see how many auctions there are lately. The banks will battle to get the loans serviced, and bad debts will increase. The market knows this and discounts the share value. I think SBK will continue to fall for a while still.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Banking index support of 25880 coming up.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
PE only as good as earnings, most banks have stated they do not expect any growth in earnings this year down from inflation plus 10 to +5 to flat (in +- 6 months) This is only the start all the big boys are sitting with there hands in there pockets. Dividend yeild very hard cause if no growth in profit and the cost of capital continueing to increase i dont see current dividends yeilds been where they are in 6-8 months. I would stay short.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
The overipe tropical fruit is rapidly nearing the fan!
0 Kudos
simps
Contributor
...And the fruit skin has just been shaved off!!!! It could hit the fan anytime fro now...Watch the closing prices today and remember. THE TREND IS YOUR FRIEND
0 Kudos