Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Staring in envy at this rally

Not applicable
At least my exposure in Anglo is really big, much bigger than I would normally trade (but my system has enabled me to increase my exposure over the last 2 months). It is giving me a really good start to the year. But I am super annoyed at missing out on Metorex. My gut told me to get in last week, but I was worried about the thin volumes of trade in the JSE - and big spread stocks like Metorex can hurt if a correction comes. Still, an adjusted position size could have overcome that risk easy. My gut still told me to get in yesterday, with the 5% move, and I didn't. I have learn't many times that the gut is a powerful indicator, and should be trusted at all times. Oh well, fantastic opportunity lost
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
WR
Regular Contributor
pity, i did not get into agl....
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Lambchop, I agree with you....the gut is an amzing indicator.....there is something to be said for intuition in the markets. Sometimes I will trade a gut trade with a small position.....most times you come out smiling.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Intuition, gut feeling? Thats emotion, is it allowed in trading? Is it part of the trading system which supposed to be mechanical...
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
of course not Rams.....99% of the time your sentiment is correct....but you ignore the fact that trading is as much of an art as it is a science.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Rams, I am a discretionary trader - I don't have mechanical entry and exits. My rules pertain to my money management and position sizing. My system has 3 principles 1) when JSE is trending up I must be in - period. 2) I make sure I am in stocks that are showing relative strength to the market (although I do enter stocks that are showing strong price action at support levels). 3) I adjust my stops on winners and exit weak stocks, so that I can keep going long. The goal is to get 10 times gearing on my total capital (without ever risking more than 6%) so that a 10% general market move will double my money. (admittedly I have not ever hit that target before). I hate shorting, so I adopt a permabull attitude and keep looking for buying opportunities
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Skaap,that is an interesting approach, but should it not be the other way round where the market determines your position size based on probability and all you decide on is whether to accept what the market tells you and act on it.Is there such a system because that would be like "Trading in the Zone"!
0 Kudos