Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stay or Go??

joani
Contributor
Please help me decide on what to do with my "too many" SOL shares. I bought them before the market crashed at a high and they are still 20% down on purchase price. Do I "cut my losses" and move elsewhere or wait it out?? Please help I need advice!
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Not applicable
Are you trading or investing?
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
if you can afford to....hold
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Sol looks like moving higher to me.
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
or sell half...pump into VOD cfd, and make up the loss sooner
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
My Q was why Vodacom:
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
i also bought AGL, AMS at highs....holding on..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Good question. SOL moved 36% up from December 2008 after the crash. It could take another year or two to recover your loss, but it will recover sometime in the future. NEVER sell and take on more risk to cover your loss - that's a classic rookie mistake. SOL underperformed the market in the last few years, but it remains a investor favourite. In the current market climate I'll keep it.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
BC99 asked you the right question and quagga replied. The stock analysis published today indicates a sell. BUT in my view a buying opportunity is coming down the track......
0 Kudos
kicc
Frequent Contributor
If you an investor - i would hold - one of the few large cap stocks that is currently offering value - may take a yeat before your losses are made up but i would keep a quality stock as for me the rise is just around the corner.
0 Kudos
phd
Contributor
SOL is making enormous capital investment in the USA and elsewhere. This is an investor stock with a VERY long term outlook.
0 Kudos
joani
Contributor
I am investing, no rush to sell, don't need to liquidate. My concern is whether another share may do better than this in the medium to long term. Would have to offset the 20% loss and then show growth - practically impossible I guess! My VOD shares have grown 53% - wish the portfolio % was more heavily weighted in that direction!! Thanks for all input, hugely appreciated.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Keep SOL, I like the long term prospects and offers good value at these levels - maybe consider topping up with a few more..
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
The question you should ask yourself is,can I get better results with say half the money if I invest in different shares?....Do research on this,then enter those shares you might buy on a watchlist.Do remember to include Sol on the list as well....In say three months time,you should be able to make a reasonable decision on what to do.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Balance your porfolio...you state that you have too may SOL shares and I think therin lies the problem that needs fixing...maybe off-load, when i dont know, so that the portfolio is doing well even if SOL is doing -20%...if your portfolio is -20% becos SOL is -20%, then maybe increase your holding in other shares or reduce your holding in SOL....
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
SOL is nearly down 10 % last month, in fact SOL is down 18 % over the last FIVE years, the only people that made money on SOL is those that bought it 10 years ago and have kept it and of course the short term traders! I don't get it, why is this share so popular ? it goes nowhere !. There are better buys in the market. Dont get attached to this share.
0 Kudos
knopkop
Contributor
Morning Guys Me aint gotta crystal ball but read through the replies about SPOL and very much agree WES
0 Kudos