Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Std Bank Presentation - SSF explained

Beep_Beep
Super Contributor
Well done to Kurt for a well explained and informative presentation. My only negative was that I felt Std BNk is promoting the SSF market as a good trader opportunity but that I now have to go and buy additional software or go to another site/platform to time or trade an SSF. No - Intraday Live Ticker charts. Come on std - you can't wet my appetite and then not go all the way. What would the implications be!!!
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
kr_pto
Super Contributor
Agreed, a very well presented session indeed!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
also prices quoted in the portfolio for futures( i mean P&L) are almost never current. they usually lag by up to hours. very frustrating when you want to trade
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also attended the presentation. I felt Kurt was a really good speaker. As for the software (if you want to trade intraday), I was recommended Share Friend. Its something like R3k-R4k for the software,+ R3500 for the live version, and then you still have to pay subs every month.Anyone know of any better and cheaper packages out there?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you can download amibroker for free on torrentspy.com. actually you can download just about anything for free on torrentspy.com then get the intraday data for amibroker on sharenet.co.za , it is about R400 a month, and the ticker is every 5 minutes
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Wow, thanks chris, what a great site. Never heard of it before.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its an amazing site. will probably get closed down eventually...and well find another :P
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
I feel like such a granny saying this... but why are you comfortable pirating software that you are going to use to help you make money? Doesn't the programmer deserve his slice? Amibroker is a great piece of software, and it's written by one guy, not some big company. I would encourage you to license it if you have tried it out and found it useful.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Tango what i do is get the software, test it & if i like it & think theyre charging fair value will purchase real version...there are too many false promises made in this industry when it comes to software to keep spending thousands upon thousands only to find out it doesnt have what you want. Same for dvd's ( movies) & songs. ill first download them for free & if i think the movie/album is worth keeping will go out & purchase the real thing for my collection. Im tired of getting ripped of & buying trash only to make some corporate execs richer. I believe things like piracy help drive business to be more consumer driven & less revenue driven. Ironic that i trade futures....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So is a 5 min delay the best that one can get? (Given our bandwidth limitations) Its shocking how scarce bandwidth is in SA. I've heard of one company thats moved all its share data servers to New York because the underwater backbone cable was getting quicker pings than the server was getting locally!
0 Kudos