Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Still not betting on a correction anytime soon

Not applicable
This market is acting like 2008 never happened, and we are still inching up bit by bit - no real big winner days, just steady, sustained buying with sellers hanging on. Big Resources still haven't really gotten out of the starting blocks yet, and neither has the financial sector really, so with the exception of a few rapidfiring stocks (like Naspers), I think there is still quite a bit of upside. I am adding up on Aspen today, which has pulled back into my buyzone, with massive volumes lately. Currently holding Anglo, BHP & Clicks - and cursing like a banshee that I sold Naspers after the div payout - grrrrr!!!
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
sponono
Super Contributor
Big corrections start just like a day like today on the ALSI.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
as do 100% rallies to all time highs ??
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Hey Skaap, go smell your "longs" elsewhere, we are going down!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yip I'm on the fence at the moment, I'll wait for some direction and let my cash rest a bit.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Hey, Skaap, last week you told me to go smell my shorts elsewhere! How does it feel!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Some direction provided by China raising interest rates. Resources could be going down.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
The 5 hour ALSI chart has broken support with a clear sell divergence.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have absolutely no idea, i am not short
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you want to go short, short the resi stocks - i agree fully. Looks like we could be in for a rough ride.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
correction or not I get out when my trailing stop loss id hit I wish i had a black and white method for taking profits though if any one has any theary's please share
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
maddog it depends what youre trading i use fib retracement to exit trades on Forex.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
probably the hardest question in trading. Getting stopped out is fine, it is a function of risk, but the ol' gotta be innit to winnit tagline always rings true - getting out in the middle of a rally, only to find that you don't get your entry point again, is a difficult one. I work on the following key points 1) I trail in multiples of the risk that I take - this offers me some profit protection 2) If the market is moving up, and continually closing above previous swinglows, i don't sell, period (unless closing below my trailing loss). 3) if stock is still showing relative strength after a market correction, I don't sell 4) I always take note of price action - i.e. I look for typical candlestick formations that signal the end of a rally. these are to be treated with respect (dark cloud cover, hanging doji's, etc - all the classic candlestick formations that to me signify a 'violent' reaction to a price level). Best to take profit in these circumstances.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Shooting reported near the pentagon!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ahem, sorry, just clearing my throat.
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
hahaha, im enjoying them UP days :-)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This is when things get tricky. So many appeared to be convinced that we are heading down, that you might find this rally is just the short stoplosses being triggered. if we have a big down move today, then I will be singing a different tune
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Skaap i am expecting a correction on the dow to the 10700 level before going up again.This level is the fib 161.8 retracement of the previuos wave up (1 hr chart dow).This will be a wave e down in acending triangle that started on 13 october.(1 hr chart dow).This will also be wave 4 down on the daily graph dow.If we see a new high again today on the dow i am wrong.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Still don't see anything to suggest a pullback is about to happen. A close below 26400 on the TOPI might give me cause for concern, but otherwise i still see consolidation only, winding up reserves for another upleg.
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos