Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stochastics?

Not applicable
Hi there, Did some reading about Stochastics and it seems you can get "fairly" accurate entry and exit signals using it. Do you think it is sufficient to use the Standard Bank JAVA graphs for that or would one need more sophisticated graphing software. Any tips using stochastics? Thanks
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Mar-11
Super Contributor
I use stochastics (&RSI) as a secondary indicater. ie, to confirm my entry/exit point. Not sure if Stochastics are enough if used in isolation. Then again im sure some one has devoloped a system using only stochastics.....
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
Stochastics work like a charm on SOL if you set the periods as 13 and 23 days. Accurate entry and a good indication of exit points. I just watch mainline news and otherwise use the stochastic alone on SOL. On other shares like SSP, stochastic is a very poor indicator of entry and exit points. In short, it does depend on the character of the particular instrument.
0 Kudos
GarethJ
Regular Contributor
Yes, using OST go and look at the graphs of various shares and you'll see fairly good patterns of where stochastics seem to work and where not. Also more reliable if supported by volume increases.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
I also use it as a secondary indicator and quite favour it.
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Contributor
The school of Magliolo professes that one could use the Stochastics and MACD graphs alternatively (the one or the other) with the DMI (ADX) trendline Graph. When the DMI(ADX)is trending upwards you use the MACD and when it is trending flat or downwards you use Stochastics and RSI. THe MADC however also shows entry and exit point like follows. When the moving average (blue line)crosses above the signal line (breaking into the red) but below the Zreo (0) line it indicates a buy signal. When the blue line crosses below the signal line (breaking into the green)but its above the zero line then it indicates a sell signal. I know it sounds confusing but it works pretty well with some shares like IMP.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I once had a system that used 3 Stochastics at diff periods .. when all bunched it was the confirmation, break was the triggger .. an the ones on the online charts as good as any other Stochastics ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, what happened to your system - you don't use it anymore?
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Simon, what parameters did you use.
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Java graph on this is fun so if you are serious stay away from it
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
can remember the parameters .. coud hunt them out, but that means going through boxes an boxes of traidng notes .. it was a very short, short and med .. when all bunch at top or bottom I waited for the reversal break ..

stopped using it when I adjusted all my trading to way more siple with no indicators or oscilators ..
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Simon - at the risk of asking you to cover something you have already covered - what do you use in place of indicators and oscillators. I have often wondered if one could just trade with moving averages after all many indicators use MA's anyway -and some sort of volume indicator.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I use MA pretty much exclusively, or just price at resistance/suupport ..
MA's I use 7/21 in the one (beta testign ALSI with this one) and my lazy system is 15/30/60
0 Kudos