Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stock Market College

Not applicable
Hi, I would like to know if any forum members have had any interaction or are familiar with them. I filled in an online survey on their w/site about a month ago. Got a call from 1 of their (uninformed by the sound of it) agents. Duly agreed to hav 1 of their consultants meet with me @ my place of wrk. Turns out they primarily provide an advisory service, ie they do the analysis (technical & fundamental) and make recommendations, you the client invest your own money. SA equities only. Software package R13500, end of day data feed R219pm, daily data feed abt R900pm.
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
sponono
Super Contributor
another very expensive tipping service
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Furthermore, I explained to the consultant that my intention is to ultimately make my own investment decisions based on my own analysis, but am still educating myself whilst building up a set amount of starting capital, via investing in various etf's, which i am currently doing. Wot kinda put me off is that their business name is highly contradictory, I was under the impression that they provide education on the stock market, but I do have OST for that thank you :-) Also, he seemed insistent that I could pay the R13500 on easy finance terms thru his suggested finance provider of choice and even increase it to R20k. Even use my credit card?? Not very wise imho... I have to credit him though on showing me his portfolio and he claimed that he personally doesnt trade any derivatives. No spectacular gains, and he stressed that it was not a get rich-quick scheme. But then again how would I know it was his real portfolio, it was after all an excell s/sheet. And the longer you stay with them the more money they too make.....
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Look at http://www.pdsnet.co.za/ Metastock is a good program to use. Dr. Clive Roffey uses it and when I have saved enough I want to buy it as well
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, thats actually one of the packages I am seriously considering buying. Had a look at their w/site, as they're the official importers of metastock in SA to my understanding.
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Yip, Garth Mackenzie from Traders Corner/Imara SP actually advised me to use that on.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I make it a point to watch both Traders corner and Roffey Review weekly. Nice 2 kno Garth recommended it. I take it we both r talking abt the end of day M/stock? Do you perhaps know wot the monthly data fee is? PDsnet also has another locally developed package, share something cant get to the name now but if I understood correctly U only pay a once off fee for the package and the monthly data is included.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
why buy a package if you can use ig index (previously ideal cfd's)using the L2 dealer with advanced charts gives you everything you need. The charts are for free on condition you do 3 trades per month.
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
I try to watch them both as well :) Sharefriend is the other one, seems to be a once off fee, Metastock end of day is R3850 not sure how much pm but its about R150 or so. I would like to get the Metatrader pro, but its R9000! Oh well, got save a bit more!
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestions, will give ig index a look. Yep, intrady M/stock package is over twice as expensive as EOD package. Sharefriend yes, thats the other one. I get confused cause there are quite a few packages that start with share-....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Stay away from anybody selling you a packaged advisory service as the one you are offered by this company...if it was that good, they would they surely rather trade their own convicton than trying to sell it to some sucker. While educating yourself, you can use the share magig lite product (check on ost->price charts) just as effectively as you would metastock, but at a fraction of the cost. metastock is the professional choice, but the basic technical functionality you'll need is very well covered by both products, and ost provide all the fundamentals you will need. for daily downloads, you can use investordata.co.za for R95 per month or the guys at sharemagic also provide data downloads.
0 Kudos
BoburUncle
Regular Contributor
Thanks for the info, the thing that I have found is that there are so many products out there, and I keep hearing of new ones everyday, but nobody can, or is willing to tell you which ones are actually worth any good.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for the info Van Doodle. I had my guard up for them but wanted to see what they had to offer, hence I obliged with the call centre agent and went ahead with setting up the appointment. Share MagLite was 1 of the 1st packages I was looking at. Should've bought it when it was @ R999, currently R1.5K. I kno I prob sound like an investor who laments not buying a share when it was undervalued, LOL! Maybe its fair value at present.... Only issue was that I was looking for specific functionality and wasnt sure if maglite could provide it, ito customising the indicators. But then Im a total beginner/student of the markets & shouldnt even think of jumping the gun! I attended 1 of Dr.Roffey's TA courses & bought his book & my intention was to apply his principles, at least some of them.....
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
unmar, if you want to spend the money, you will not be wrong to buy metastock and investordata provides daily downloads for metastock as well. metastock has been around since the 1980's, so is well entrenched and will not dissapear overnight. i personally use amibroker, which i am perfectly happy with, and i have seen share magig lite in action and was comfortable with it's functionality then @ R999...I think even R1500 is a fair price.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
What do these packages give you that you don't already get from OST already and for free???
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
u read my mind perfectly. there are so many sites that will give you free data. why pay for it.
0 Kudos
Harathke
Regular Contributor
Cause none of them are worth anything. All useless. Q: Why sell a program to trade the stock market, why not use it to trade yourself and make billions? A: The guys make more money SELLING the software than they get USING it. Go figure.
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
agree Galuc although OST not quite there yet the ig package is free if you do 3 trades alternatively costs approx R300 pm if you do not trade at all but gives you full charts with live prices (no daily downloads) and you can personalise everything and anything.The only package that i could get force index on.
0 Kudos