Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stock Picker Challenge 2009

Running_bull
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Hi werner i have been away for 4 weeks and would like to see the final results from last year,i can not get any response from the old web site, is there any way i can view the final placings regards..............
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I will make a plan, will post here when have something to show...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Simba, i added a page that contains the ranking of the 2008 competition, hope this helps you - http://www.valueinvestorsa.com/stockpicker/2008.aspx
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Thanks werner it made interesting reading.I hope this year you can entice those those few people who boast and make plenty of noise on this site to put their names on the line......thanks for your effort it was good fun to see the mighty fall and bounce straight back again for another go...............
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Good lay out,results can be seen at a glance.Thanks....last year i was way out,deciding that to win the cometition required something different,so i used small-caps.The idea back-fired....A year is a long time,heres hoping i do better this time!!!!!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Good lay out,results can be seen at a glance.Thanks....last year i was way out,deciding that to win the cometition required something different,so i used small-caps.The idea back-fired....A year is a long time,heres hoping i do better this time!!!!!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Barry, thanks, i agree that the layout is better than before. i had a few bad selections as well. this year lets hope we are slightly better, i think the market will be much better than 2008...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i beg your pardon i added my list and made a typo instead of "bti" i typed "bit", can you fix please thank you and great effort from your side, thank you
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
momemtum, i will fix during today sometime... i really enjoy the discussions about our selections during the year, hope all can hav fun with the challenge.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
werner one note of concern that you should may be address next year, some of the traders chose stock that have not traded for the last two months, so even if they select these shares they would not have been in a position to obtain even 1 share find it a bit ridiculous to place such a share on the stock picker's list it should at least be tradable if there is such a word, one of my criteria is to only trade shares that have very high volume every day, easy to get in and as easy to get out
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
I thought the object was to choose 5 shares in jan that would be sold the last day of the year and who ever made the most profit or the least loss was the winner. Lets not give any body a reason to make excusses,you either have some talent or you dont ..........
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
already more entries than last year,luck also plays a part,remember last year even Satrix lost ground!...That said,would be nice if Simon,John and Chartist would also throw their hats in the ring!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
That would be interesting, actually 1 year is quite short for long term strategy and quite long for short term, but i think it would be interesting and to see who knows what they talking about and if it makes sense, its a interesting, fun game...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
All this shows you is who made a lucky guess. I am happy to put in my picks.. But what I would like to do is to challenge the benchmark with one of my trading stratergies.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
That would be cool, but when Topgun came up with the inital rules it was who can select the best share for the year, if one does good analysis its not a lucky guess, i really think 1 year is actually too short, would like 5 years or so, but the other problem about running your trading strategy is that the site would require a huge change, e.g. it is not built to alter stock selections and for this to happen, one would need 15 minute delayed pricing at least and the function to switch securities all the time, this costs quite a lot and much more development on the website, which might not be worth the effort in the end of the day.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Sure I totally understand. I do not expect you to.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Once entries are closed would be a nice touch to consolidate the database to show a top10 shares picked in order and keep a track of gains and losses on the top10
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
cool, i think it would be very interesting to have such a platform in existance though, just the problem with the prices etc.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, i have that idea already, thought about it this morning, will do that on the 15th... would be interesting, i see many people have REI, GLD.
0 Kudos