Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stock Picker Challenge.

Super Contributor
Now the entries are closed. tonight will reflect the first moves, i can already guess how it will look, lol... I compiled a spreadsheet with the most popular shares in this year's challenge, see the news page - http://www.valueinvestorsa.com/stockpicker/News.aspx
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Super Contributor
How can you be sure that the picks are actually in our own portfolios? Or is it an honesty game?
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
There is no way of telling if the picks are actually held in the contestants OST portfolio, I also think this is not important as it is a competition of who thinks what share will do best in 2009, if you hold it or not, doesn't actually matter in my view.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
No worries - it was just the original challenge was for picks in our own portfolios. I have gone with picks in my own portfolio, although whether I'll be hanging onto them all for this year is another question. Good stuff.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Blik, my picks i also have in my portfolio...
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
At what level / price do you see value in Anglo?
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
I cannot tell that offhand, i havent actually looked at Anglo much, i have a few BIL shares i bought quite some time back, but never researched Anglo, if i find some time i will look into it though.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Hi Werner, where did the benchmark come in 2008?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
conradl
Contributor
I chose shares based on what i was interested in or have in my portfolio. I see since last year, the number of entrants tripled. Congratulations Werner, next million a month competition ;)
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
DST, sorry, the final calculation didnt have the STX40 in, i just checked, it would have been at place 16/17 = -26% (approx)
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Yes, this year is a real awesome run! thanks guys, i think we will have lots of fun...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have selected (mainly) a bunch of small caps that I would never dream of holding on to for the whole year. Had I picked a "good" portfolio, I would expect average to above-average performance, but almost zero chance of winning. With the "extreme" portfolio I chose, I've got a better chance of extreme performance, either extremely good, or extremely bad, depending on what the market does.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Good thinking,better luck than me last year mate!....I tried just that and came fifth from last!
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Hi Werner, is there no change to still enrol ?
0 Kudos