Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stock exchange disaster in SA

Pauldelmas
Contributor
It was Madiba's birthday - what will happen if he passes away on the stock exchange, with in one working day there after.I believe it's going to be a disaster as never being seen before on the financial side for the country. Am I wrong?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
I believe you are wrong, markets will persist beyond one mere mortal.
0 Kudos
Harathke
Regular Contributor
What will happen when Madiba dies? Simple: we will all be very sad that he gone and very glad that came at all. Nothing much beyond that.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The White people will be the most sad for their inherited messiah, and they will beat their breasts on Facebook. The Black people will think WTF dude, hands off the ANC guy that you put in jail for 27 years. Topgun will think "good start. Zuma next."
0 Kudos
Not applicable
That caused it? ...and here I was thinking it had something to do with the whole economical disaster the world is sitting in, the banks around the world unable to pay, risk aversion... We all learn something new every day.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
Bigger than the TWIN TOWERS?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Well, I do understand that if the little communist wasnA't kept in prison all those years owing to his refusal to denounce violence, the mines/banks would have been nationalised in the 1960s already with the resultant hardship for the masses and he would not have been the media created hero (for some) today with a sanitised legacy that conveniently ignores the fact that he prevented an inquest into the massacre of 53 Zulu at Shell House, authorised the Church St bombing, hobnobbed with despots and dictators like Gaddafi and Castro and pondered whether 14-year olds should have the vote! Nevermind the cANCer that is slowly devouring this country. That said, I donA't wish for anybodyA's premature demise.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- Can't argue much with that. But surely the bigger threat than Mandela's passing, on our markets will be the sucession battles in the Anc. It seems like there's plenty cloak and daggers playing out, and with Malema in the mix, anything could happen. Sho
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Just kidding. Most people are entirely one-dimensional about SA's history. However I really did notice that the only friends making a "happy Madiba" noise on FB were whities. Most of them in NZ and the UK, clapping and hugging in the spirit...from afar.
0 Kudos