Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop Loss %

mustang
Not applicable
What is a "reasonable" percentage to set stop loss (trailing) at. I changed mine from 10 to 5 and ended up with a pile of sell offs! An advice for a novice?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Wumpus
Frequent Contributor
I ONLY sell on stop-losses :) I set mine to 15% when I buy and when I'm 5% up, I change to 10% and leave it. When the charts suggest that a fall is probable (like a very overboaght RSI) I set it lover than 10, but always higher than 5. This strategy may seem stupid and short-sighted, but it works well for an emotional trader. On the long run I make money...
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
depends on the volatility of the underlying, and the gearing of your instrument. If you are geared 10x, and set a trailing stop at 20%, a 2% move will shake you out. 20% seems to be a common stop level. I think it's best to use the break of a support level below your trade entry as an initial stop (for long trades) and then use a mechanical system to move your stops up if the trade goes your way. Classic trend-following systems would use the break of the most recent low (ie, a lower-low) as a stop.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there is no perfect level. I've crunched 20 years data on a few large caps and the answer was nothing. Basically it depends on the system you use regarding speed/duration of trade, liquidity and product you trade. Short quick trades can live with tighter stop losses, longer trades need more breathing space. Lower liquidity will see spikes that could stop you out while a highly liquid stock will mostly see smoother price progression. Lastly, if you're trading a derivative product you need to widen your stop. I trade warrants with a gearing of around 5x so use a 20% stop loss. This allows a 3-4% move against me before I get stopped out.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Tx guys...cool
0 Kudos