Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop Loss

Supa
Contributor
Hi. Does a stoploss work in both directions? I know it can exit a position to prevent further loss, but what about taking profit on a trade when it goes above a certain level? Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DEP
Super Contributor
Yes, It works both ways... just set you price fixed or trailing.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
Before you enter a trade you need to determine a target, either through chart patterns or a mechanical approach (depending on what instrument you trade and how you trade). You dont have to take the full amount out at target, you could take half out and then let the other half ride with a trailing stop loss.

But your targets and stop losses are more important than any buy/sell signal. So to answer your question Stop Profit = Target.
0 Kudos
Supa
Contributor
Thanks guys, but just to clarify, I will use the same screen as the stop los and just set me 'profit loss' price?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
It does offer the option of a stop profit so I assume so.Never used it myself.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
easy answer...once you in profit, stop can be set anywhere below ruling price or "closing price" if setting it outside trading hours.if you ignore the "loss" in stop loss, then its easy to work with...
0 Kudos