Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop Losses

md49
Contributor
Do any of you have the problem where your stop loss kicks in, sells the share - and then murphy's law has the share suddenly jump up at the point your stop loss kicked in? Happened to me on SAB this morning!!!!!! and DSY last week. so unfair!!
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
barry_1
Super Contributor
That is why i use alerts only on top 40 shares.Some buyers especially put their bids lower for just such a sudden lapse in prices !
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
happens , see it real time with index futures 15 min chart...but i still place the stop...
0 Kudos
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
The "reverse" can happen - stop loss kicks in - share price continues declining ...phew....breath that you got it right!.. win some....lose some......
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and what about the times, when it hits your profit targets and then goes down...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
but if you got stopped out on either of those 2 shares - then your stoplosses are way way way to tight. you can't be getting all flustered over a 1% move in a stock price - if you are - then you are entering into the realm of day trading - and you can't day trade stocks - period!
0 Kudos