Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop loss/Profit setup

Not applicable
Hi,i'm a newbie awaiting to attend lessons on how trade on this platform. I need an explanation on how to set up the stop loss/profit.I have taken a short position and i've created a stop loss as follows: condition = fixed trigger will execute after price goes below 700points limit price on order = 710 order to place = buy. I need someone to please shed more light here.Is this a stop loss or a stop profit since i'm on a short position wont the trigger execute a trade when the ruling price goes below 700 points? how would i set up the step loss so that the trade will buy (exit my position) when the index gains 700 points? thanks
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Rovert
Super Contributor
Speaking from CFD trading; stop loss / stop profit depends on whether you are in the money or not on a short or long position. To put it simply ; put in an order for an opposite position to settle your position ; in your case ;buy x at a set price or use a trailing strategy. It seems OST doesnt allow you to immediately change position with a balance > 0 ; i tried it and it doesnt work. i.e 100 CFD long and set a stop profit at a price to sell 200 ...OST...can this be done?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
phone the call centre and looking at your setup, they will show you how. and if you new, you should not be shorting...
0 Kudos