Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop losses

ws
Frequent Contributor
Had a trailing stop loss on OML,but it went right through the trigger price without triggering? Is this possible or did it have something to do with OST problems today? Now I am in the red!
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
ws
Frequent Contributor
??? Now it has gone though and shows a profit??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, triggered perfectly well an was sent to market .. risk is that the stock moves so fast that your limit price is outside the trading range ..
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
The way things are tumbling at the mo, most of my stop losses are going to be kicking in soon!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ws - now you will find that the shares will only be sold once the price recovers to your stoploss!
0 Kudos
ws
Frequent Contributor
Thanks guys,so the bottom line is that there is no guarantee with a stop loss?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
correct .. we can get the stop loss order it to market .. but it'll only trade if there is a matching price ..
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Two questions Simon: 1. Can one cancel a stop loss that has gone trough its trigger and limit price? 2. Can I trade thev share or SSF if it has gone trhough the stop loss and shows a (-) on my portfolio or is there a risk of a double transaction?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
when a stop loss triggers it is now just a normal trade in the market .. so you can cancel it via the website or call center ..
0 Kudos
BAP
Regular Contributor
Forgive ignorance. Via website??? Stop loss status page in grey and cancel/edit options no longer available.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nope, when the stop loss triggers then it is no longer on that page .. under my account share (or futres) trade status ..
0 Kudos