Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stoploss and Sell

SKALA
Super Contributor
I am going away for 3 months and will not be able to get online. I have sold my installment holdings, but am still holding a few shares that I do not want to sell at present. Since I do not use stoploss as a rule for shares and installments, I now have to take precaution. The reason I sold the installments, is that the trade is very erratic (in the installments) thus the triggers would be very erratic. For the shares I still hold, if I should place a Sell say 15% above todays close, plus put a Trailing Stop, will the stop trigger if the price falls and will the shares be sold? Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if you put a stock on the market to sell you can not have an auto stop loss.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
you can use the automatic stop facility to put on a target trade. So place your trading stop, and a fixed sell stop at the target price. Whichever gets hit first will get taken out.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
tango, I don't understand. You're saying put a fixed stop at the stop level (say 9000c). Then add a second stop on the stock at a higher price of say 11000c? But the 11000c stop will trigger immediatekly as they trigger when a trade happens below that point??? Or is my brain just soft today and I completely miss the point?
0 Kudos
MenuOption
Frequent Contributor
Simon, Tango, Skala
Yip, Ive done it before, works wonderfully. Put a fixed stoploss at say 5% below current level. Put a second stoploss (trailing) at 15%. If the price goes up more than 10%, then the trailing will fire first, but if it imediately drop, then the fixed stoploss will trigger. Works great if you will be away for some time.

However, as I have it the stoploss will only operate for a month. After that it gets removed. Simon, maybe you can just check if this is so.
cheers
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
I don't use automated stops anymore, so maybe it's me that's a bit mushy on this one. I'm pretty sure I've done it that way before and it has worked. I might be wrong here, but my memory of how they worked is that if you placed a stop higher than the current ruling, the higher-priced stop would not be triggered until that value had been reached.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Thanks for the inputs guys. It seems we are in a grey area. Menu O, the trail will only trigger if it drops the set amount, else it keeps on moving higher. This is a good method for a rising price, but the second fixed stop set at a higher level than the present close and obviously the lower stop, will be very nice to secure things. Think I have done a move like this a few years back, but as I said, I do not often make use of stops. Must decide tomorrow what to do.
0 Kudos