Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Strategy for a newcomer?

macker753
Occasional Contributor
I recently joined the market ... if I'm after a decent return over roughly 3 years - you think its a reasonable time to buy? It seems trying to time my exact entry point is an impossible task (especially considering the recent volatility). I'm just sick of keeping my savings in cash!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
The question remains if you have the necessary knowledge to capitalise on any upswing. If the answer is "No", then educate yourself first. Try understanding simple concept such as resistance and support level. Try www.investopedia.com for learning material.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Are you investing or are you going to trade? If investing then 3 years is a starting time frame. Look for decent solid high DY shares, and in 3 - 5 years time, the DYs you will get will look good. I bought DST, 3 years ago at an avg. price of 2200 a share, so am looking at a DY of around 11% now for this year. I only regret not having the cash to buy more at the time. Still if I buy now, then in 5 years hopefully DST will be at 120 or will have done a share split, and my DY, if bought at 6600 will still be decent. Or they could go bust - but i dont think that is likely. If you are going to trade....well be prepared to ride the ups and downs and probably lose some cash, if recent posts on the forum are anything to go by.
0 Kudos
macker753
Occasional Contributor
Im looking at investing. I've entered the market with some "solid shares" - I basically just want to start off with a reasonably good base and then will move on from there as I improve my knowledge! The current interest returns (4 - 6%) just made me want to get into the market as soon as possible! Hopefully I won't regret that decision too much!
0 Kudos